Error in O365 Data Model when a column named "Moving"

Copper Contributor

I'm running into a strange problem saving data models, and would appreciate any help.

Perhaps there are reserved column names in Excel data models?

Here are steps to reproduce:

Version: Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (16.0.14326.20936) 64-bit

1. Enter data according to these steps:

1a. In cell A1, Moving

1b. In cell A2, 1

1c. In cell A3, 2

Your spreadsheet should look like this:

A
1Moving

2. Click on Cell A1

3. Select Insert, PivotTable

4. In the popup, check Add this data to the Data Model, and leave other defaults (Range Sheet1!$A$1:$A$3, New Worksheet)

5. Click OK in the popup - you will see an empty pivot table

6. Click File->Save, select any filename (.xlsx format)

Expected behavior: The file saves

Actual behavior: Error message "Errors were detected while saving '(filename)'. Microsoft Excel may be able to save the file by removing or repairing some features. To make the repairs in a new file click Continue. To cancel saving the file click Cancel."

This seems odd, but is easily reproducible with other data in rows 2+ (the column name seems to cause it), and I can't find anything online about it.

Thanks!

13 Replies

@Bob_Posert 

I can't reproduce that

@Sergei Baklan  - another person at my organization is able to reproduce it. What version of Excel are you using? I wasn't able to reproduce on an older version.

@Bob_Posert 

I tried both

image.png

and Beta channel latest build.

Any suggestions? I tried Excel in safe mode and it still happens for me.

@Bob_Posert As another data point I couldn't reproduce it either with my version:

mtarler_0-1654793500043.png

so if you change the column name you have no problems?

Something else to try is to log into windows under a different account (just create a new local account) and try it again in that new account.

@Bob_Posert 

Sorry, have no idea. Do you have around computer with other than Enterprise Semi-Annual Channel installation to try?

Yes, if I change the column name then no problems. I did some more research, and it looks like anything starting "mov" is an issue. I can name the table "mo" or "moq" without an error. However "mov" gives me the error.

I cannot create a new account on the machine (admin's locked down), but another person at my company was able to reproduce the issue on their machine using their account.
strange that is.
does it happen if the "mov" column is column B?
I assume you also tested if you don't add it to the data model.
And what if you save as xlsb or xlsm formats?
Also, can you open the VBA editor (alt-F11) and show what is in the Project Explorer window (ctrl-R if it isn't already shown on the left side). Basically if you opened a new book there will be 1 line with VBAProject (Book1) listed, but what else is listed?
Thanks mtarler for staying on this - inline.

does it happen if the "mov" column is column B?
Yes.

I assume you also tested if you don't add it to the data model.
Yes. If I don't add it to the data model, then it works fine.

And what if you save as xlsb or xlsm formats?
Still an error

Also, can you open the VBA editor (alt-F11) and show what is in the Project Explorer window (ctrl-R if it isn't already shown on the left side). Basically if you opened a new book there will be 1 line with VBAProject (Book1) listed, but what else is listed?
Interesting - it looks like the name gets saved a little.
This is what I see:
VBAProject (foo.xlsx)
- Microsoft Excel Objects
- Sheet1 (Sheet2)
- Sheet2 (Sheet1)
- ThisWorkbook

There is no actual code in the editor for any of the projects.
so although nothing is really ruled out that really didn't help focus either.
the VBA editor not having anything else (I assume foo was the name you tried to save as) doesn't mean there couldn't still be some macro/add-in hiding in the background
the fact that it happens using xlsb doesn't mean a virus s/w isn't blocking it and in fact this is still my top suspicion. What virus s/w is installed on the PC? I'm also guessing that you can't 'suspend' it or override it because of company settings? maybe ask IT at the company to help and suspend the virus s/w just for this test to see if that is the culprit?
Thanks - I'll work with our internal IT on that.
FYI I'm not able to reproduce on another machine with Version 2205 (Build 15225.20204 Click-to-Run)

@Bob_Posert 

Perhaps that was a bug in concrete build.