SOLVED

Error bars do not work with custom values - multiple series chart

Copper Contributor

I have a bar which has multiple series. Think of it as a number charts combined together. 

I created a table which has the 8 series to be plotted.  For each series has a std deviation for each value. 

Every value is an average of a sample population and as such has a std deviation which I want to plot using error bar options of Excel. 

The bug i'm facing is that thee first series takes (plots) the custom error values while all other series show nothing. I tried the view/paint options of the error bars but that did not help.  I'm convinced the problem is either a bug or some issue with data "reading" . 

I have attached the excel. The first tab "results Graph 03" has the bars I'm talking about. 

The first graph is column chart labeled "Sorptivity summary of 3 months specimens grouped by mixture design".In that graph there are the 8 series plotted in it. Labeled in the table columns as A,B,C,D with post-fix H and F each.

For each series i added in Column O a bunch of value which are the standard deviations representing the errors.

I do not need or want to use the std deviation or other features provided by MSFT error bar options. I want to use those custom values as both the plus and the minus ones. 

Steps i use

1>  Add chart elements > Error options

2> I choose the series

3> for the series i choose "Custom" as the error amount and specifiy the + and -ve as the std deviation in column O. 

Nothing happens except for first series A-H

5 Replies

@haddad333 

You need to restructure your data a bit. Let take A-F series

image.png

A-F series takes entire column marked as (1) here

image.png

Thus errors are also shall be defined for entire column, it is marked as (2) here, when it'll be shown - you have empty errors for empty values and some for non-zero ones. In your case error values were shifted on empty values and not shown together with them.

@Sergei Baklan I added a new column still the errors bar do not show. 

Error bars are custom . 

clipboard_image_0.png

best response confirmed by haddad333 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@haddad333 

Please check the file I attached with previous post. You need to define entire column for error values

image.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by haddad333 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@haddad333 

Please check the file I attached with previous post. You need to define entire column for error values

image.png

View solution in original post