erroneous external links warning

Copper Contributor

Every time I open a certain Excel workbook, I get a warning that the file contains external links. It doesn't. I have followed all the advice and searched the entire workbook, sheet by sheet and cell by cell, for anything containing a link, and it just doesn't have any links. This is a complicated (for me) workbook with a lot of formulas and data, and I don't want to spend the time it would take to recreate it from scratch just to make the dumb error message go away. 

How do I find what's causing this error? Or at least make this irritating warning stop?

3 Replies

@loripax  I had a similar problem and another person here recommended this tool:

https://manville.org.uk/software/findlink.htm 

It worked awesome

Without the workbook I can only guess. Most of these links come from the conditional formatting of copied sheets. You can do that under Conditional Formatting -> Clear Rule -> Clear Rules in Entire Sheet ... as I said is only a guess.

I would be happy to find out if I could help.

Nikolino
I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@NikolinoDE

I started getting this warning when I created a recursive Lambda function. The recursive Lambda works fine. I'm the only one who has ever touched the workbook, and I know for a fact that it does not contain any external linkages. There's no conditional formatting, copied or otherwise.

I think it's just a spurious warning -- maybe it's supposed to warn about using a recursive Lambda, but the wrong message is displayed. 

I just ignore the message.