SOLVED

entering the working time, automatically marked with color in the timeline.

Gold Contributor

When entering the working time in a time entry, this time should be automatically marked with color in the timeline.

Is this possible?
if yes... how?

TEST Sheet 

Ps. My knowledge in Excel is not the best, but my knowledge in VBA is almost non-existent :(

Any help is welcome

Thx in Advance

Nikolino

35 Replies

@NikolinoDE 

This is all being done with the help of Sheet Change Event i.e. the code underneath gets triggered automatically once you change the cell content on January Sheet.

So you will need to reenter the existing time again so that the change event code triggers and highlight the timeline.

OR test the code by entering some new time values on January Sheet and let me know if the timeline is being highlighted correctly as per the time entered in January Sheet.

@Subodh_Tiwari_sktneer 

Here is the updated file. You can see all the 3 duties are highlighted in Row#10 on IND1 Sheet for the employee JeWo.

it doesn't work that way either ... only shows the first time (10:00 to 15:00) and then nothing. With three Duties entries in the same day, it only shows the start time and end time of the three duties without color.

@NikolinoDE 

Did you test the updated file I uploaded in my last post?

As I said, this feature relies on Sheet Change Event so if you don't see a timeline highlighted for time you see on January Sheet, all you need to do is, select the time cell on January Sheet, press F2 key and hit Enter, this will trigger the Change Event code and it will correctly highlight the timeline. Does that make sense?

Either what is likely I am doing something wrong or it is not working. At least not as I imagined.
Enter time in sheet January (Duty 1, 2 or 3) and automatically appear in timeline in sheet IND1. Without buttons or additional buttons. It seems it is not possible with VBA, maybe with formulas?

Will probably have to keep looking to find a solution.
Thanks again for your time and effort ... even if it didn't work ... at least one like was earned by me :)

Thx again :)

@NikolinoDE 

Please watch this short video demo to know how does this work. Is this not what you trying to achieve?

@Subodh_Tiwari_sktneer 

WOW great with video !!!

It is EXACTLY what I want to do

Simply enter the time in Sheet Januar and have it shown in sheet IDN1, for each colleague and each day individually ... EXACTLY THIS! :)

Is that possible? for the whole month? ... and so that I can copy it for the next month?

Really great ... thanks :)

@NikolinoDE 

@NikolinoDE 

You're welcome!

Great! Glad it is working as desired in the end.

After inserting the next month's sheet, you need to copy the code from January Sheet Module and place it on the next month's Sheet module.

To do this follow these steps...

1. Open the VB Editor by pressing Alt+F11.
  2. On Project explorer on the left side of the editor, double click the January Sheet and the January Sheet module will be opened with the code on it.
  3. Copy the whole code from the code window.
  4. Now double click the next month Sheet on the project explorer which will open a blank code window, just paste the copied code into the opened code window.
  5. Now the next month sheet will have the same functionality.
  6. Remember to have the same layout with the next month's sheet similar to the January Sheet layout.

Also, this code will work for all the employees and for all the dates provided you pay attention to some notes I posted in one of my posts, posting them again for your reference and make sure you follow them exactly as described.

**********************************************************************************************

Please note that in order to make this code work properly, you will have to input "from" and "to" column headers for all the columns for all the employees in Row#9 on January Sheet i.e. if you enter a time in any cell and if the header for that column in Row#9 is not either from or to, the code will not work properly.

Also note that when you enter the from time for any employee, enter to time for that employee first before entering from time for another employee otherwise this code will not work.

I have also changed the employee name sequence in column E on IND1 Sheet as per the sequence of the employees entered in the range H1:Q1 on IND1 Sheet.

The timeline will be highlighted as per the color of the employee in the range H1;Q1 so you may change the color for a employee if you wish.

If in any case the timeline is not highlighted for some time values you enter on January Sheet, make sure to enter the same time in Row#8 on IND1 Sheet and reenter time on January Sheet again to highlight the timeline on IND1 Sheet.

**********************************************************************************************

Please take a minute to accept the post with the proposed solution as a Best Response in order to mark your question as Solved.

Please refer to the following screenshot to know where to find Sheets on Project Explorer on the VB Editor.

VB Editor.jpg

Since I am a bloody beginner in VBA, is it possible that you send me the file with the code so that I can simply copy it for the next few months?
I know that I ask a lot, but as a beginner and self-learner, I have no other way of getting close to a solution.

Wish life gives you much more back :)

Nikolino
best response confirmed by NikolinoDE (Gold Contributor)
Solution

@NikolinoDE 

No problem. Here is the code you need to place on Next month's Sheet module.

Public sTimeFound As Boolean
Public sColumn  As Long
Public eColumn  As Long

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then Exit Sub
Dim timeType As String
Dim dt As Date
Dim empRow As Long
Dim startCell As Range
Dim timeRng As Range
Dim dtCel     As Range
Dim tCel    As Range
Dim dtRng   As Range
Dim emp     As String
Dim n       As Variant
Dim dws As Worksheet
Dim empRng  As Range
Dim inputRng    As Range
Dim clr         As Long

Set dws = Worksheets("IND1")
Set empRng = dws.Range("H1:Q1")

Set dtRng = dws.Range("C8:C348")

Set timeRng = dws.Range("F8:BA8")

Set inputRng = Range("I10:EZ40")

Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Intersect(Target, inputRng) Is Nothing Then

timeType = VBA.Trim(Cells(9, Target.Column).Value)
    emp = Cells(5, Target.Column).MergeArea.Cells(1).Value
    n = Application.Match(emp, empRng, 0)
    clr = empRng.Cells(n).Interior.Color

If IsError(n) Then
        MsgBox "The employee " & emp & " doesn't exist on " & dws.Name & " Sheet.", vbExclamation
        GoTo Skip
    End If

If (LCase(timeType) = "from" Or LCase(timeType) = "to") And Target <> "" Then
        dt = Cells(Target.Row, 2).Value
        For Each dtCel In dtRng
            If dtCel.Value = dt Then
                empRow = dtCel.Row
                empRow = empRow + n
                Exit For
            End If
        Next dtCel
        For Each tCel In timeRng
            If CDate(tCel.Value) = CDate(Target.Value) And LCase(timeType) = "from" Then
                sColumn = tCel.Column
                With dws.Cells(empRow, sColumn)
                    .Value = Target.Value
                    .NumberFormat = "hh:mm"
                End With
                sTimeFound = True
                Exit For

ElseIf CDate(tCel.Value) = CDate(Target.Value) And LCase(timeType) = "to" Then
                eColumn = tCel.Column
                With dws.Cells(empRow, eColumn)
                    .Value = Target.Value
                    .NumberFormat = "hh:mm"
                End With
            End If
        Next tCel

End If
    If sColumn <> 0 And eColumn <> 0 And sTimeFound = True Then
        If Application.Count(dws.Range("F" & empRow, dws.Cells(empRow, sColumn - 1))) = 0 Then
            dws.Range("F" & empRow, dws.Cells(empRow, sColumn - 1)).Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
        ElseIf Application.Count(dws.Range(dws.Cells(empRow, eColumn + 1), "BA" & empRow)) = 0 Then
            dws.Range(dws.Cells(empRow, eColumn + 1), "BA" & empRow).Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone

End If
        dws.Range(dws.Cells(empRow, sColumn), dws.Cells(empRow, eColumn)).Interior.Color = clr

sColumn = 0
        eColumn = 0
        sTimeFound = False
    End If
End If
Skip:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

Unprotect "1234"

With Range("A10:EZ40").Interior
        .Pattern = xlSolid
        .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .PatternTintAndShade = 1
    End With

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A10:EZ40")) Is Nothing Then

With Range(Cells(Target.Row, 1), Cells(Target.Row, 156)).Interior
            .Pattern = xlGray25
            .PatternThemeColor = xlThemeColorAccent2
            .PatternTintAndShade = 0.399945066682943
        End With

Application.EnableEvents = False
        Target.Activate
        Application.EnableEvents = True

End If

Protect "1234"

End Sub

Also, don't forget to mark the post with the proposed solution as a Best Response. :)

Thanks for all your wishes.

Have a good time ahead!

Bow me !!!
Great ... awesome
Thanks alot
I know it was a difficult birth with me ... but as far as I can see ... IT WORKS ... I will continue tomorrow .... thanks again and wish you love, joy and health in your life.

Regards,
Nikolino

@NikolinoDE 

Hi Subodh_Tiwari_sktneer,

I still need one last help. I translated everything in German on the sheet and also changed the VBA code into the words.
Have it installed so as mandatory, but I come to no result.
Sure there is a mistake somewhere ... as sure is that I can't find it ... even if I could have made it accidentally

Sending you file and ask for one last time for help and patience with me :)

Nikolino

@NikolinoDE 

Please find the attached with the tweaked codes.

Points to remember.

1. The employees names in Row#5&6 on January Sheet must exactly match with the employees names in the range G1:Q1 on IND1 Sheets.

I have tweaked the formulas on January Sheet in Row#5&6 for you.

2. If you enter a time on January Sheet in any cell and if you find that the time you entered is not populated by the code on IND1 Sheet, manually overwrite that time on IND1 Sheet in Row#8. e.g. if you enter a time say 2:30 in any cell on January sheet and if this time is not populated by the code on IND1 Sheet for the corresponding date and employee, locate that time in Row#8 on IND1 Sheet, in this case it would be 2:30 so find the cell with the time 2:30 in Row#8 on IND1 Sheet and select that cell and type 2:30 to overwrite the preexisting time in that cell. Now come back to the January Sheet, select the cell where you previously entered the time 2:30, press F2 key to go into the edit mode and hit Enter and this will trigger the code again and see if this time is now populated by the code on IND1 Sheet. Please remember, the time you enter on January Sheet must match with time on IND1 Sheet in Row#8.

Hi Hi Subodh Tiwari sktneer,

It doesn't work like before.
The working hours contributions of MA 1 in January should be shown in sheet IND1 in cell row F13: BA13, but can be seen in F9: BA9. And only the first two services can be seen ("Dienst 1" and "Dienst 2", "Bereitschaft" is missing in IND1).
Funny in the previous version of you, the colors in the fields in worksheet IND1 appeared automatically.
In worksheet IND1, the MA (colleagues) of G1: P1, in Q is only the sum of the team.
If I enter times in the January worksheet at MA1 (in Dienst 1, 2 and Bereitschaft), for example on January 1, worksheet IND1 should appear in color 13 in F13: BA13.

Where i make the mistake?
Maybe I'm not doing something right there...maybe or sure..if I didn't cry I would laugh :)

Thx
Nikolino

@NikolinoDE 

This is not fair as you don't want to pay attention to any of my post.

I have clearly mentioned several times that under which condition this code would not work but probably you didn't read my instruction and notes carefully.

It is you who has to manage and control this file in future not me so it is important for you to know what should be the correct layout of the month sheet and IND1 sheets to make this code work perfectly.

Do one thing, go through all my previous posts and read all my points and instructions and make the correction accordingly in your file as you need to learn yourself to debug the issues in future.

I would give you a hint though and it is the sequence of the employee in column E on IND1 Sheet which doesn't match with the sequence of employees in the range G1:Q1.

Correct this sequence and then test the code again.

Thanks for the hint.
I would like to apologize if I should have said something sloppy ... that was not my intention. Apologize for my persistence on this topic ... based on my very little VBA knowledge and at the same time, to be honest, I took a bit over and promised my colleagues to do it for our team.
It is not my job to construct excels ... I don't earn my living with it,
I only do it because I enjoy it and I like to learn something ... at the same time a little show with my colleagues :-).

Anyway thanks for the effort and patience you had with me ... wish you all the luck in the world, with love, joy and health.

Nikolino