Entering Data Type from a cell reference

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a currency converter in Excel. I insterted two text boxes (ActiveControls): an input box for the currency to be converted, and an output box for the result. I then insterted two combo boxes that are linked to two cells containing currency name (e.g USD, EUR). Then I used the CONCAT function to create a currency pair (=CONCAT(AH43;"/";AH44)). After all I tried to make a Stock Data Type from the cell containing the currency pair, but unfortunately an error pops up "We can't convert this into a data type. This happens with cells that contain formulas, or are in a PivotTable. Select a cell with text and try again".

The problem is I thought it was the simplest way to create a currency converter. So is there any method to omit the error or do something else?

3 Replies

@Tom0012 

In your formula are semicolon, shouldn't there be a comma?

(= CONCAT (AH43; "/"; AH44))

At the same time, you should make sure that the cell formatting is not text (despite seeing numbers).

Here is a simple example of currency conversion using a formula.

Example in the inserted file.

Additional Information:

EUROCONVERT function

Get a currency exchange rate

Hope I was able to help you with this info.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Hi@NikolinoDE 

I use a different language version of Excel (Polish) so in my case a semicolon is a proper sign to use in formulas.

Also I checked if the cell formating is text. It turned out to be not.

Now, I tried to use your approach using your Excel file with the Vlookup function. There is only one, strange problem. I created a separate file in which I began coppying your data just to check if I understand the whole mechanics behind the vlookup function. In a row of currency conversions I always get #REF! error despite having the same data, formula which you used. I attached the file with this issue.

Nevertheless, thanks very much for Your response.

@Tom0012 

I didn't look at your file, maybe I'll try again later when my antivirus protection is fully functional again. Here are all the cells with the formula again... maybe this will help you a bit for the time being.

If it still doesn't work the way you want it to, please let me know.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE