Editing text in a cell: Ctrl+A doesn't select all; ctrl+backspace doesn't delete

Microsoft

Wanting to see if any other users have noticed, have thoughts around this issue:

When editing text in a cell on Excel for Windows:

- Ctrl+A does nothing (expected: should select all of the text in the cell)

- Ctrl+backspace does nothing (expected: should 'delete' the 'word' before the cursor)

It's definitely been a painful one for me.

7 Replies
Hit crl-home, hold shift, hit ctrl-end. Just a few more keystrokes and easy enough. I use Ctrl to deal with line breaks in the edited text.
Bill, that's what I do every day many times, just prefer Ctrl+End first. Ctrl+A would be much better.

Ready Mode ( Working with Range ) -  if you want to select all the cells of the worksheet , then Press Ctrl + A twice or simple press Ctrl + Shift + Space twice

Ctrl + A selects the active range , if your cell is surrounded by empty row and column , then Ctrl + A one time will select the whole sheet.

In Edit mode ( working with cell content ) Ctrl + A will select  only the cell content ,  also if you are typing any formula then ctrl + A will open the formula argument box if clicked after the open paranthesis  for eg  = sum( ctrl + a

@akash720 

Just Shift+Home is enough, focus is at end by default

Found out why and it is STUPID!

CTRL+A is strictly designated to open the argument dialog box when you type in a formula. It makes a "no you don't" sound when you press CTRL+A and have not typed in a formula, to let you know the formula hasn't been typed.

Just STUPID!