Editing Tag database

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have asked on a few forums about this issue re the location of and how to edit - the tags database in Excel/Windows File Manager - and have had a few folks guess at the solution but have never got to the root of the issue - which is how to access this "tags" database so as to be able to delete some misspelled words or items that are no longer required to appear in the drop down list.

Any thoughts ?Excel tags.jpg

12 Replies

@Owen_Howell 

Tags are kept within files and are supported, for example, by all xml-based Office files, pictures as png and jpeg.

If you unzip any office file you may tag within file structure in core.xml, it looks like

image.png

Thanks Sergei but I have no way of interpreting what you are explaining.
Cheers.
Owen
Hi Erol,
Thanks for this - I emailed the articles author with my question but she has not responded.
Cheers,
Owen

@Owen_Howell 

I only tried to answer on question where tags are kept - they are within files. There is no external database. To edit use File->Info->Properties

Thanks Sergei - I dont find anything resembling File - Info - Properties in WIndows Explorer. If you right click on a file then you get properties ...........???? but this doesnt allow you to edit the list of available tags -

Thaks for your help.

Cheers,

Owen

@Owen_Howell 

That's not in explorer, that's within the application. For Excel

image.png

Many Thanks Sergei - I found that Tags area now but I now see I misled you by including Excel - I am actually wanting to get to the Windows Explorer tags editing facility. Do you have any insight into that ?
Cheers.
Owen

@Owen_Howell 

You may edit tags in File Explorer, as well as other properties. Select one or more files, right click , Properties->Details

image.png

@Sergei Baklan 

Hi Sergei - Great - we're almost there - so in the image I have inserted below I get the Properties; Details; Tags - but now here's the catch - as I start to type (in the Tags field) the word "Com....." as an example then a dropdown appears predicting what I am trying to type (this dropdown list is actually comprised of tags I have created/used before) and I want to delete a few words from this drop down list so my question is how do I delete misspelled words or any words for that matter in this drop down list .

Thank you again for sticking with me to solve this problem.

Example.jpg

@Owen_Howell 

Sorry, I'm not so deep in this, don't know.

Hi Sergei - thanks for trying to help.
Cheers.