SOLVED

Edit only message

Copper Contributor

I use Excel and Word quite frequently and suddenly, over the past month, I have the message "Can't Edit, the file is read only, to edit it, first save a copy of the file".  I am unable to save a copy and have no idea why I am getting the message.

I do share some files with colleagues, however this is nothing new and I don't think that is the cause.

I use both a laptop and a tablet. (Windows and Android)

Grateful for any help

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@Lesley2220 

There could be a few reasons why you are getting this message. One possibility is that the file is locked due to a previous crash.

If your computer stopped working previously while the file was open, it’s possible that the app mistakenly thinks the file is still in use, and thus the app has temporarily locked the file.

If the app tells you that you can’t edit a file because you already have it open, try closing the app and restarting your computer. 

This action should release the lock and allow you to open the file for editing again.

Another possibility is that another author has checked out the file.

Normally, for a file stored on a SharePoint site, more than one person can work on it at the same time. This is called coauthoring. 

But if someone checks out the file from SharePoint, other authors are temporarily prevented from working in it until the file is checked in.

It could also be that you do not have edit permission for the file.

You may want to check with your colleagues to see if they have made any changes to the permissions.

I hope this helps!

@NikolinoDE 

Thank you - that was helpful

I'm glad that I could help you a little bit.
I wish you continued success with MS Office 365 :).
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@Lesley2220 

There could be a few reasons why you are getting this message. One possibility is that the file is locked due to a previous crash.

If your computer stopped working previously while the file was open, it’s possible that the app mistakenly thinks the file is still in use, and thus the app has temporarily locked the file.

If the app tells you that you can’t edit a file because you already have it open, try closing the app and restarting your computer. 

This action should release the lock and allow you to open the file for editing again.

Another possibility is that another author has checked out the file.

Normally, for a file stored on a SharePoint site, more than one person can work on it at the same time. This is called coauthoring. 

But if someone checks out the file from SharePoint, other authors are temporarily prevented from working in it until the file is checked in.

It could also be that you do not have edit permission for the file.

You may want to check with your colleagues to see if they have made any changes to the permissions.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post