Edit dropdown menu on Check Register Excel 1 template

Copper Contributor

I downloaded the Excel 16 Template called Check Register with Chart 1. I would like to edit the drop down menu under the word category. How do I edit the drop down men?

4 Replies

@fabuliss86 

Fantastic example of a template that's not designed for flexibility. There was a table hidden off in column P--I've unhidden it in this revised one.

You'll still need to use Data Validation to extend the range of choices you have, but at least now you can see it. The other thing you might want to look at--there are named ranges of cells (this table of Categories was one of them). To see the existing names, go on the main menu to "Insert....Name....Define"

Feel free to come back if you have additional questions.

@fabuliss86 

I've probed around a bit more, unhidden a bit more in this second revision of the template. And in all candor I'm disappointed that Microsoft would allow a template like this to be published for users. There's far too much that looks great but is in fact limited, and those limitations are all the more frustrating because things like that table in columns O, P, and Q were hidden from view. And it should be obvious that a user really intending to use it will need to modify or extend the table, the range of categories. And they use fairly basic but still esoteric functions....

Sigh. Anyway, it IS a good example of what can be done with Excel. But you might well be better off designing your own, making it less flashy, but fully functional in terms of what you need.

Thank you for posting.  Is there a way to add a catergory to the drop down menu list as well?

@mathetes 

@KRISTINMCSHAW 

It probably is, but I would truly suggest looking for another template. Or creating your own.

How experienced are you with Excel?