SOLVED

drop down menus

Copper Contributor

From some reason, in Excel, I am no longer able to click on an arrow and get drop down menus to stay open.  I can see them briefly, but they go away before I can click on my selection.  These are spreadsheets I have used for years, and this problem just started. I have tried shutting down and re-opening, and opening a new spread sheet.  Problem persists.      ??? 
Thanks for any help you can give.  

7 Replies

@Elizabeth324 

I do not know your version of Excel or the file environment.

I don't even know what kind of Excel file is causing this problem.

Therefore it is always an advantage if you insert a file (without sensitive data) and explain your problem.

But it reminds me of the old problem with the Drobox or OneDrive.

It was enough to close Dropbox/OneDrive via the task manager and the error was gone. (Unfortunately only permanently when Dropbox is uninstalled).

There are of course other possible causes, but more information would be needed.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@NikolinoDE 

Thank you for your fast response.  I thought you gave me a clue when you mentioned Dropbox, as the files I was using are in Dropbox.  But, I opened one that is not in Dropbox and had the same problem there.  

I don't see any "about" that I can access to find out the version of Excel I am using.  It's part of my subscription to Microsoft 365.  
I can't post a picture of the exact problem, because the dropdown box disappears so fast.  Here's a file, that is not in dropbox. (In this file,  I was just using Excel as a way to make a form with boxes, no formulas, etc involved.)  Now I can't change the type or background colors.   Thank you so much!  
Elizabeth324_0-1611611303086.png

Close Dropbox via the task manager and the error was gone. (Unfortunately only permanently when Dropbox is uninstalled).
If you already do this, try this option before uninstalling dropbox.

File -> Options -> Advanced -> Options for this workbook -> you have activated under Show objects -> Nothing
there select All and the dropdown is visible, if was this the problem :).

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

@NikolinoDE 
Thanks again for your help!  I did check the "All" box under "show objects".  "All" was selected.  I unselected and re-selected it. Didn't make any difference.  I got disgusted and didn't use Excel for a day.  Today, it's working just fine! 
I tend to think of computers as "magic", since I don't really understand them.  Thanks for waving your magic wand in my direction!  

Which Excel version are you using exactly? ...and Computer Operationsystem.

Could you include any of the files (with no sensitive data) that have this problem?

There can be so many things, I don't have the experience that I can solve the problem immediately with a picture or give you a suggested solution.

Thank you for your patience and time.

Nikolino
Problem is solved. Thanks again.
best response confirmed by Elizabeth324 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I am happy that I was able to help you

Nikolino

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Elizabeth324 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I am happy that I was able to help you

Nikolino

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

View solution in original post