Drop down menu list

Copper Contributor

Hello, I created a drop down menu list as per attached...first on B12 cell I select the model type, then on the cell B13, in Data Validation, I applied the formula =INDIRECT($B$12) so I can get just the model A variant or just the model B variant, in B14 I would a drop-down list that: if in B12 is selected model A, I can just select the design stage a11, otherwise if in B12 is selected model B, I can select or B11(standard) or B12...I tried to use again the formula with INDIRECT but without success...is there a way to do that? Thanks

1 Reply

@Klod1978 

See if the attached example can help you. It's what I call an example of cascading data validation, where the secondary selections change based on what was selected first. This uses the fairly recent Dynamic Array functions, so you will need to have the most current version of Excel for it to work.

This link will take you to a YouTube video that explains the Dynamic Array functions that are the foundations for the cascading data validation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9DtFOVPIg

Feel free to come back with further questions.

Learn everything about our brand-new Dynamic Arrays and how you can use them to build advanced spreadsheets. Arrays (CSE) have long been present in Excel, but were limited to power users. With Dynamic Arrays we have rebuilt the calc engine, effectively turning all formulas into array formulas ...