Drop Down List Only Auto-Filters When Typing On Certain Computers

Copper Contributor

I am facing an issue where we have a drop down list referencing hundreds of entries and while it works fine on some computers and I can simply type in that cell to filter the options and quickly find what I need, for other computers, it does not even open the drop down list when typing or if opening the drop down first it will not allow me to type.  The Auto-Filtering also works fine on the webapp.  The computers used in testing are all using the same version of Excel and the same file.  I have noticed that it seems to be working on computers older than about 2 years, but not on computers newer than that.  I suspect that there may be some setting or registry DWORD that used to be defaulted that may need to be turned on, but so far I have not been able to find anything different between the computers that seems like it would affect the filtering functionality.

1 Reply

@RichardCollins 

It’s possible that there may be some setting or registry DWORD that needs to be turned on, as you mentioned.

However, without more information about the specific computers and their settings, it’s difficult to provide a solution proposal. 

There could be several reasons why the drop-down list is not working on some computers. Some common reasons include hidden objects, unchecked in-cell drop-down option, corrupted workbook, or defective settings in Excel. It’s also possible that there may be some compatibility issues between different versions of Excel. I would suggest checking these settings and options on the computers where the drop-down list is not working to see if that resolves the issue.

If all of this did not help you, I recommend sending detailed information.

Here is a link: Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

Hope I was able to help you with this info.

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)