SOLVED

drag to “fill” not working – value is copied, formula ignored

Copper Contributor

I've tried the calculations tab but it is already on auto and have check in file, options, advanced, handle fill is enabled but I can't drag formula, it drags the original cell number?

Any ideas?

9 Replies

@Trish2022 

=SUM(B4:C4)

Perhaps you have locked your cell references with the $ sign. You can try the above formula. The difference is shown in the screenshot.

sum.JPG 

thanks for the reply but I'm afraid that doesn't work, cells aren't locked with $

@Trish2022 

Can you add a screenshot without sensitive data that shows what you get when dragging the formula?

@Quadruple_Pawn it gives three choices: copy cells, fill formatting only, fill without formatting Screenshot (1).png

best response confirmed by Trish2022 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Trish2022 

The formula you show is in cell C5 and it is copying.  However, since it contains constants, the formula will be identical in every cell and will give identical values.  For the formula to change, it must include a relative cell reference, as shown

RelativeReference
= -C4 * (1+5%)

Array
= -$C$4:$G$5 * (1+5%)

novice error - thank you

@Trish2022 

=-2374.41*(1+5%)^COLUMN(A1)

Do you want to increment the value by 5% ? If so you can try the above formula which includes a dynamic reference.

-2374,41.JPG

Thank you, I think missing the relative cell reference was a rookie error
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Trish2022 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Trish2022 

The formula you show is in cell C5 and it is copying.  However, since it contains constants, the formula will be identical in every cell and will give identical values.  For the formula to change, it must include a relative cell reference, as shown

RelativeReference
= -C4 * (1+5%)

Array
= -$C$4:$G$5 * (1+5%)

View solution in original post