Downloaded Excel template files can't be edited. Clicking Enable Editing is opening a blank workbook

Copper Contributor

Hi All, 

Myself and my colleagues at work are having an issue with editing downloaded Template Excel worksheets. 

The Excel worksheet is just closed after clicking the 'Enable edit' option and you are left with a blank workbook.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me here.

Thanks,

Shoaib

12 Replies

@shoaib2000 Which templates? What excel version? Platform (PC, Mac, On-line)?

I am having this issue as well starting last Friday.

Windows 11, Office 365 latest version, updates applied to both Windows and office. For me, the files are custom templates I created for instruction, which I regularly update, and they have been stored on and downloaded from Microsoft OneDrive. I have also had trouble after emailing the same files. My students seem to be encountering the same issue at different times (eg. Some of them started experiencing the issue Friday, some Monday, I had problems starting Tuesday..)

We are not on the same network.

For us, Excel bogs down after hitting enable editing - we have to force quit Excel. The original file doesn't disappear. It doesn't become editable though, and a new blank file opens instead in front.

I believe all the files have protected sheets which include instructions on how to use the file so that may be a factor. These are files I have used slightly tweaked versions of for at least a year and this behaviour is new.

I have found that if I right-click on the file properties in file Explorer, and click "Unblock" the file will open without having to Enable editing so this is a workaround, but it is not as intuitive.

Apologies if I am interfering in this thread. I'm new to this.
I am having the same issue. I regularly create templates for our employees to use and store them on G Suite. Starting this weekend, employees were unable to open them without the above happening. Thank you ThomasW2022, at least we can keep everyone working until a better option comes up.

@KnotMyTime Has anyone found a solution for this?  My worksheets are not protected, but my team cannot access templates without copying to a local disk.  Same issue as others, if "Enable Editing" is selected, a blank workbook is created each time it is pressed, but you cannot edit the template.

I am having the same proble.

Does anyone from MicroSoft minitor these unresolved questions?

@shoaib2000 

@shoaib2000 

Try setting your protected view settings as such:

Patrick2788_0-1654723751866.png

@Patrick2788, thanks so much for your help. This resolved the issue for me.

Same problem for me. Why this problem occurs? Disabling security options in Excel Settings isnt right solutions. @shoaib2000 

@Matomato Agreed.  This should be functioning normally and I don't want any security issues as a result of changes to the settings

Yup. I'm working with brand new computer users and may will click on ANYTHING. I'd like to keep protections in place for any files I don't send them.
I have the same identical issue, the funny thing is that, if I open the file from File-> Open... then I am able to edit it and no empty document is opened, but I would like to have an official fix for it.

@shoaib2000  I am having the same issue. It occurred after the udpate.