Does permissions feature on Allow Users to Edit Ranges work in Excel?

Copper Contributor
Just wondering if anyone was able to get the Excel 365 Edit Ranges permissions to work for different editable columns or cells.  Suppose, I have a worksheet with 2 columns (Column A and Column B) that I want Group A to be able to edit cells in Column A and Group B to edit cells in Column B.  When I did the following config in the Allows Users to Edit Ranges:

1. Set permission to ALLOW users in Group A to edit ranges (Column A) without a password 

2. Set permission to ALLOW users in Group B to edit Column B without a password

3. Enabled the Protect Sheet

The result:  Users in Group A and Group B can edit both Columns A and B which is not what I expected.

The result is still the same when I explicitly set the permission to DENY for Group B's users to edit Column A ranges without a password and Group A's users to edit Column B ranges.  

Not quite sure why it's not working when I tested it in the desktop mode.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thank you

2 Replies

Hi @hs-prod 

You need to set the range password for each group A & B then accordingly share the password to the groups

Hope the below steps might be helpful..

Snag_437515fc.png

Note purple points are the important one.. 

Regards, Faraz Shaikh | MCT, MIE, MOS Master, Excel Expert

If you find the above solution resolved your query don't forget mark as Official Answer to help the other members find it more

@Faraz Shaikh Thank you for sharing and providing the screen shot along with the steps to configure the permissions.  I was hoping that I could set the permissions solely by using the 'Allow' and 'Deny' rules without applying the passwords.  Entering a password is not convenient and people tend to forget the password.  So, I guess I'll have to find other ways.   Thanks again.