SOLVED

Do I have to ""Load to.. Table" to populate dropdown?

Brass Contributor

Hello,

As shown in the screenshot below, I am populating my dropdown (ie data validation list applied to cell E5) from a table (Table_PPeriodQueryResults) which was a result of my query PPeriod_Query

Question: 

As I have selected "Add this data to the data model" for the query, Is it possible to populate my dropdown list without having to load the data into a table?

screenshot.png

As always, thank you.

Michelle

5 Replies

@Michelle99 

Michelle, you don't need to load the table into data model in this case, it's enough only to land it into Excel sheet.

@Sergei Baklan thanks (again) for your reply. I am trying to avoid creating a new table in excel. I was hoping I could just load it into the data model rather. I assume by "land it in excel" you mean create the green table as shown?

best response confirmed by Michelle99 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Michelle99 

Yes, I mean green table.

You can't create data validation list from power query connection or data model table, power query shall return the table into the Excel sheet to use it for data validation. Another story you may place it into separate sheet and hide this sheet.

@Sergei Baklan  got it! Thank you. :)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Michelle99 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Michelle99 

Yes, I mean green table.

You can't create data validation list from power query connection or data model table, power query shall return the table into the Excel sheet to use it for data validation. Another story you may place it into separate sheet and hide this sheet.

View solution in original post