Distribute a number in a cell on multiple cells

Copper Contributor

I am a big fan of Excel, I use it a lot in my work. I would like you to help me with a formula to be able to equally distribute a number in a cell on multiple cells.

I would be appreciated if you could help me with that.

8 Replies

@mohamedmaamoon 

Please provide more detailed information.

@Hans Vogelaar

For example, I have a PO with items (each item has a unit price) and there are extra expenses at the bottom after the subtotal amount of the total PO. I want to distribute this amount on each item equally, so that the new item price has amended including the initial unit price plus the expenses added on the PO amount.

@mohamedmaamoon 

That doesn't help much. Could you attach a sample workbook (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar?

@Hans Vogelaar

PO Sample.jpg

I wanted to add the extra charges shown below the subtotal (Balance, CargoX, Other) on each item's unit price.

@mohamedmaamoon 

See the attached demo workbook.

@mohamedmaamoon 

Not to dispute the method used by my friend @Hans Vogelaar , but to point out that the key word you have used--equal--as in your statement "I want to distribute this amount on each item equally," can be taken in two different directions. I've attached a revised version of the spreadsheet here to show it. To be clear, I agree with the method @Hans Vogelaar used, I think it's the more reasonable approach.

Nevertheless, one could also have taken those extra charges, amounting to 537 Euros, and divided that amount by 10, and distributed 53.7 Euros equally to each of the ten product lines, getting results that differ from the proportional distribution.

@Hans Vogelaar

Thank you for your support

@mathetes

Now I have the two methods. The second method is more accurate if I need to distribute the total expenses equally on each item’s unit price.

Thank tou very much