Display percentage without space between number and %

Copper Contributor

Hi, for some reason my excel has started to show percentage formatted cell as "50 %" rather than "50%".
I can always change this with custom formatting, but I would like to change so that the default formatting for percentage is without the space before "%". Can anyone help me?

13 Replies

@Qverner 

Set format "0%" or "0.00%" (under Format cells ... -> and on the Numbers tab select User-defined and select the desired format)

Format numbers as percentages

Tips for displaying percentages

I would be happy to know if I could help.

I wish you continued success with Excel

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote any reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Hi Nikolino, appreciate the response!
Note that I am not asking about how to format a cell as a percentage, but rather how that percentage formatting looks. When I do what you say, the cell says "50 %", but I want it to say "50%", i.e. without the space between 50 and %.

As I said in my initial post, I can fix this by using custom formatting, but I would like this way of formatting percentages to be the default.

@Qverner 

So I don't know what your plans are, unfortunately nothing precise can be found in the translation. Maybe it would help more if you submit an example file (without sensitive data) with an explanation based on this file.

Nevertheless, here is a suggested solution, as I could understand from the translation.

Solution proposal :

=TEXT(50;"###\%")

I hope that I could help you with this information / links.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here

@NikolinoDE , the problem is if you apply percent format to number, e.g. to 0.5, it returns "50 %" (with space), not 50%

That's not clarified on which operational system (iOS, Windows,...) and which version of Excel that happens, but in any case I don't know which setting could be responsible for that. Maybe you know.

@Qverner 

Please attach an Excel file that duplicates the problem.

Also, please provide some specifics: platform (PC, Mac, whatever else); and Excel version (and build# for Office 365).

I cannot duplicate the problem that you describe, as I (mis?)understand the circumstances.

@Sergei Baklan 

Re: ``if you apply percent format to number, e.g. to 0.5, it returns "50 %" (with space), not 50%``.

Say what?!  Not on my version of Excel (Excel 2010 on Win7 on a PC).  See the attached Excel file and image.

@Joe User 

That's I repeated the question (see very first post) for @NikolinoDE since it was some misunderstanding. 

@Sergei Baklan 

Re: ``That's I repeated the question``

I think you are trying to say:  you are merely repeating the question to clarify.  Okay.  And you did write (I overlooked):  ``I don't know which setting could be responsible for that``.

Aside....  In another thread, your response includes a pasted image, not an image file like I attached.  How did you paste the image?  I tried the Insert Photo icon, to no avail. I tried to copy the image (from Paint) and use ctrl+v to paste, to no avail.  I'm an idiot when it comes to understanding these user interfaces.

@Joe User 

How I usually do

- copy image into clipboard (Snipping Tool, whatever)

- click on

image.png

- when opened, click on any place with grey area to get focus for this window

image.png

- paste image from the clipboard by Ctrl+V (I use Shift+Ins, but I always use it), Done.

@Sergei Baklan   wrote:

- copy image into clipboard (Snipping Tool, whatever)
- click on [Insert Photos icon]
- [....] click on any place with grey area to get focus for this window
- paste image from the clipboard by Ctrl+V

Well, that is what I did.  And the image appeared in the editor.  But when I pressed Post, I got an HTML error.  I might have done something wrong.  Or the problem might be with Firefox.  I have encountered Firefox-specific issues with editors in other MSFT forums.  I'll try it again below.

image.png

Klunk!  It worked this time.  Who knows what I did wrong the first time.  Thanks for your patience.  And sorry for the digression.

PS.... Well, it must be a "challenge", because there is a First Image Uploaded "badge" in this forum.  Huh?!  No "badge" for First Successful Edit. (wink)

Hi and thanks for the replies and comments.

I just deleted a post giving some more details, and images. However, I tried to change the "regional format" of windows from Norwegian to English and could literally see the space disappearing once I did. So that is the answer right there.

Now, the reason why I didn't try this previously was 1) I have the same issue on my work PC and have tried to mess around with the "regional formatting" before without any luck. I will try it again thought, but it may be controlled by my organization. 2) I do not think this was the case before I upgraded to Office 365 as I had never noticed it before and just upgraded to Office 365 today and naturally noticed straight away. 

Edit: As far as I know, it is not possible to alter the way % is displayed in Excel without changing the "Regional formatting". So if you want Norwegian formatting but no space between the number and the %, then at least I do not know how this is done.. 

@Qverner 

Re: ``I do not think this was the case before I upgraded to Office 365 as I had never noticed it before and just upgraded to Office 365 today``

I do not believe it has anything to do with Office 365 or a recent update thereto.

I use Excel 2010 on Win7.  When I select either of the two standard Norwegian settings (Bokmal and Nynorsk) in "Region and Language" control panel, I do indeed see the space before "%" -- even in the Format menu accessible from the "ribbon".  Look closely:

image.png

PS....

@Qverner 

``if you want Norwegian formatting but no space between the number and the %, then at least I do not know how this is done``

Oh, but you do.  As you said at the outset: ``I can always change this with custom formatting``.  To wit:  Custom 0% works just fine.

However, your previous point was: ``I would like to change so that the default formatting for percentage is without the space before "%"``.  I concur:  I do not see any way to change the default Percentage format for Norwegian.  (sigh)