Display cell value as comment using Macros and VBA

Brass Contributor

Hello guys,

is it possible to display the content of a cell as an comment that refreshes automatically when the content of the cell is updated?
here is an example:
I have written some random words in each of these cells: A1, A2, A3
and used an CONCATENATE formula in cell B1 to combine A1, A2 and A3 contents in one single cell (B1)
I would like to display the content of B1 as an comment. With the following needs:
- to update automatically if cells A1, A2 or A3 change their contents
- not to show comment if A1, A2, A3 are empty (it's not a must, but nice to have)
- to show comment only if the pointer (mouse) is held above the cell and hide if the pointer is moved to another location on the screen

- to display comments on different cell ranges ( a few columns )

The reason why I need to do this is because cell B1 will have a long string of caracteres that does not fit in one cell. It is not a must to be an comment. But I've searched all over the internet to try to display the output of an CONCATENATE formula in the excel formula bar, not only in the cell as an value, but without success. (I have excel on MAC)

I've came across many Macros but none of them does what I need. The only ones are in this amazing article but when tried to implement them did not work. Or may be because I didn't worked with macros before. Here is exactly what I need: https://excel.tips.net/T003374_Placing_Formula_Results_in_a_Comment.html
Can you please help with an advice? there can be many columns with comments. Not just one cell as showed in the screenshot attached

2 Replies

@Alecs 

Here is a small solution. Is made on Windows, don't know if this also works on Mac...even if nothing speaks against it...just don't know

However, when changing the value of the yellow area in any cell, a comment appears with the previous value and the user who changed it.
Maybe it will help you, if not...just ignore it.

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Thank you Nikolino. Looks like on MAC there are many things that do not work ....
I will look forward to develop something closer to what I need starting with your ideea. It's nice to have :)
Does someone else have an ideea regarding this? My only problem is that the cell that I want to put my CONCATENATE formula is too small to display the content and be readable. Is there an better solution than a VBA macro?
I've thought of an solution but do not know if it's possible:
To have an cell (just like the build-in excel formula bar) witch displays the content of a cell only if someone clicks that cell. Is it possible? to display the content of any cell from an sheet?