Disable co-authoring feature on specific Excel workbook

Copper Contributor

Hi,

My customer is using the Excel co-authoring feature for multiple of their workbooks as stored in SharePoint Online. But it doesn't work well for all workbooks. For instance in one they make heavy use of filtering options and they use the sheet throughout the day, it's very important for the business. At the moment the filters are not personalised so when anyone changes one of the filters, it changes for everyone, which is obviously very annoying. 

So what they are looking for is a way to disable the co-authoring experience for this particular workbook (or a specific SharePoint library). Is there a way to do this? 

Cheers, Jasper

2 Replies

Hi Jasper,

Did you manage to find an answer for this? I am in the same boat currently. 

Hi guys

No option to switch off co-authoring for a library or individual file as far as I know. The work around is to go to your library and click onto the cog > Library Settings > Versioning Settings > Require Check Out (Yes).

Because a user will check out the file, it will be locked to everyone else as read-only. Just make sure if someone else needs to make changes to the file that you check the file back in.

Hope that gives you something to work with?

Cheers

Damien