SOLVED

Devon, UK does not show on Excel Maps

Copper Contributor

i. 

I am plotting counties of the UK - specifically the South West of England. This includes Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Dorset. Excel maps WILL NOT plot Devon, no matter what I call it. I have tried:

Devon

UK, Devon

Devon, UK

Devon, United Kingdom

Devon, GB

Devon, GB, United Kingdom

On Bing maps, Devon comes up absolutely fine. What is the problem please?

10 Replies
best response confirmed by Paul T (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Paul, did you try Devonshire?

THANK YOU!

I was too close to the elephant there...

Hi Paul

I'm trying to do the same thing, could you give me the list of counties you're using (inc. Wales, Scotland and NI?) there is something odd with the way it recognises counties as I've  got Devon in my list and it's working fine. I'm having a problem with what on earth (no pun intended) the other options for Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk are!!

thanks

martin

Excel Map.PNG

Hi Martin,

It very depends not only on counties names, but also on how you name your column. If, for example, England, NI, etc you call Countries you have one picture. If States - another. 

In attached map counties you mentioned are shown. However, not sure all counties are recognized.

thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

@Sergei Baklan

Hi Sergie,

Hope you don't mind. I've attached an update to your UK Maps file correcting the data for Scotland. There are currently 32 council areas (counties) in Scotland which I have listed. There are still some errors which I think are bugs in the map chart application (see Below). 

Errors for Scotland
Renfrewshire, West Dunbartonshire and Midlothian are correct counties but do not show on the map.
Using the names Hebrides and Ayrshire show the areas on the map but these areas are incorrectly named.
Hebrides should be Na h-Eileanan an Iar (Gaelic for Western Isles)
Ayrshire should be South Ayrshire.

Hope this helps others in the community.

Thank you @Bill_Crawford , the mysteries of what Americans think our counties are called continues to amaze. MInd you, we're not the only ones.....

fox.jpg

Hi @Bill_Crawford ,

Thank you, I guess that will be useful for the community. I'd suggest you to send a frown to Microsoft, it's in File->Feedback

image.png

@Bill_Crawford and@Sergei Baklan thanks a lot that works great for the counties. Unfortunately only part of the level 1 regions (12 in total) are recognised. Have asked Bing to add them as provinces or states in the UK. the 12 are:

• UKC. North East.
  • UKD. North West.
  • UKE. Yorkshire and the Humber.
  • UKF. East Midlands.
  • UKG. West Midlands.
  • UKH. East of England.
  • UKI. Greater London.
  • UKJ. South East.
  • Wales
  • Scotland
  • Northern Ireland

@Bill_Crawford 

Thanks for sharing your spreadsheet. I encountered this problem and found what appears to be a fix (of sorts) for those Scottish regions that don't show up (Renfrewshire, West Dunbartonshire and Midlothian) : if you remove "Scotland" from the "State" column, they pull through. Don't ask me why (I stumbled upon it completely by accident!). I don't know if this works with the ones in England as I've not tried it. Hope that helps some people. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Paul T (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Paul, did you try Devonshire?

View solution in original post