Deleting External Links to other work books

Copper Contributor

Hi All, 

I have been trying to delete an external link to another workbook. I have tried the 'break link' tool, however, it seems to still be there after this action has been completed. I have reviewed all CF, data validation and objects. However, there does not seem to be a specific cell with the link.

Does anyone have any advice to delete it? 

Thanks

5 Replies
What is CF? Check Name Manager - chance are, there is a named Range pointing to the other workbook.

@ecovonrein 

CF = Conditional Formatting

@njconsult 

Could you attach a sample workbook (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar? Thanks in advance.

If you've thoroughly checked all the hiding spots (Formulas, named items, data validation list sources, macro buttons assigned to macros in external workbooks, pivots pointing to external sources, etc), it's worth trying to save, close, and re-open the workbook. I've seen quite a few workbooks like this and sometimes the 'Edit links' button won't dim out until the workbook is re-opened.

It's also possible to remove the external links via XML but you may want to upload your workbook (or sample) before it gets to that.
This site and extension was recommended to me from someone here and I highly recommend it to others:
https://manville.org.uk/software/findlink.htm
It found hidden names that I couldn't find otherwise.