SOLVED

Delete shapes from Excel files

Brass Contributor

I have received an excel files which contains some shapes. while trying to remove that manually it was noticed that there are several copies of the same item inserted on top of the same . Is there a possible easy method to delete the shapes all together at once or any other options.

5 Replies
best response confirmed by Rudrabhadra (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Rudrabhadra Press F5, select Special..., then Objects and OK. That selects all objects at once. Now you can press Delete if you really want to get rid of all objects in the schedule.

Riny_van_Eekelen_0-1661600667388.png

Riny_van_Eekelen_1-1661600674697.png

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Due to an unknown cause, an uncountable large number of "shapes" have arisen in an Excel file. I have no success with the described method to remove it, which is evidenced by the fact that the hourglass symbol is still visible after 30 minutes. Nothing seems to happen? Who knows this phenomenon and or has a solution?

@Thesaurier161  i know this is an old post. But be patient and give it time (it can take several minutes even on a i7 with SSD and 16 GB of RAM, it dependes on how many objects there is. But i went from a 1082 KB Excel file to a mere 55 KB.

thank you really good tip.  It worked nicely.  I am wondering in excel why does this happen in the first place.  the file had so many objects.  I share this file with a mac user and wondering if it is a script, bug, etc.@Riny_van_Eekelen 

I've seen it quite a bit in Excel. It can happen when copy/pasting from sources outside of MS Office - usually from web pages.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rudrabhadra (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Rudrabhadra Press F5, select Special..., then Objects and OK. That selects all objects at once. Now you can press Delete if you really want to get rid of all objects in the schedule.

Riny_van_Eekelen_0-1661600667388.png

Riny_van_Eekelen_1-1661600674697.png

View solution in original post