date format

Copper Contributor

There are many articles telling me how to fix dates, after excel changes them.  Why must I do this every time?  I'm looking for a way to enter 12/25/2021 and not have to reset it to my way after excel changes it to 25-Dec-2021.  I wouldn't be upset if it changed dates to the way I've told Windows to display dates; it picks a format that irritates me.  It would be nice if it would learn my way.

I often pre-format my column of dates to text format.  This is a workaround and not ideal -- sometimes excel keeps telling me I have a date in a text field.  Also with text format, I can't properly sort on that column.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 Replies
This can be fixed by changing the default setting. Go to the Control Panel then Clock, Language, and Region,, then from the appeared dialogue box hit the Format Tab,,, first is the Format (based on Country) select which is appropriate, the next is the Date & Time Format,,, select one is required to you , finish with Ok, close Control Panel,,, and better Restart the PC/Laptop,, Window will apply the New Setting ☺

@Rajesh_Sinha 

I already have Windows set to the date format I prefer -- happens that it's Windows' default format as well.  Excel will leave my entry alone if I enter it in exactly that format, otherwise, it converts it to European/military (25-Dec or 25-Dec 2020) format.  I don't like it, but I don't have any other choices.  Excel is by far your best application.  It's too bad it has this one ugly wart.