SOLVED

date display

Copper Contributor

I downloaded a miscrosoft schedule template. But there is a problem. Why in cell C3 does he not put the date in cell G2?
If someone could correct me this error, thank you very much for your help

12 Replies

@Trankil C3 has the function WEEKDAY (JOURSEM in French). This returns de day number in the week of the given date (i.e. 1 to 7). Row three is formatted as "long date" and then Excel takes day number 2 a date number two, being January 2, 1900.

I'm not familiar with this template, but if you want C3 to display the date in G2, just over-write the formula with =G2

@Trankil 

In C3 is weekday, not date. Please format as dddd

thank you. But I want a long date. Is it possible, keeping a week that always starts with the present day?

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Thank you. I don't know too much about Excel, that's why I downloaded a microsoft model. But I would like to keep this schedule but with a long date on line 3.
Let the first day be automatically the present day. And that there are 31 days in a row.
It's possible?

@Trankil Just enter =G2 in C3. That should do it.

@Trankil Sorry, I didn't read your entire question and my previous response was a bit too quick. I attach your file with some revisions. But, I must say that this template doesn't seem to be very useful and its only purpose seems to be to teach about the WEEKDAY function, calculate with time intervals and how to use named ranges and named formulae. It's full of these last two features. I expanded the calendar table to contain 31 days, but perhaps it broke some of the features in the template. Can't be sure until you test it.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Great. Thank you very much, it's really nice to have taken the time to help me. I don't know Excel very well, but I need a practical schedule to manage rooms for children, to manage protective measures against the codiv virus. I will try it out and tell you if everything is working well. Many thanks

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Hello. The calendar starts well on the present day. But, the appointments I entered are each displayed the next day. Example: yesterday, I put "Atelier Julie" on Friday May 20, at 11:00. Today it appears Thursday May 21, 11H. Same for all the other meetings. Do you think you can attach the appointments to their date and not to their cell? Thank you very much

@Trankil That I haven't looked at as I didn't go in depth to understand the template. Where did you download the template? Perhaps there is an English version of it as well. Then, I can better understand how it is supposed to work.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

thank you for your reply. here is the link to the english version :

https://templates.office.com/en-us/daily-appointment-calendar-week-view-tm00000044

best response confirmed by Trankil (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Trankil Thanks for the link. Have looked at the template and now dare to say that I consider it totally useless. It's no better, and probably worse, than just writing your appointments in a paper calendar. All that this template allows you to do is set the start of the day (C2), the time interval between calendar entries (E2) and the data for the first day in the week (G2). Now, the real dumb thing with this template is that G2 contains the formula =TODAY(). It suggests that the schedule is dynamic in some way, automatically updating something every day. Unfortunately, it's not. As you noted yourself, the calendar entries are stuck in a cell and will not move with the day of the week or time of the time when the settings in the above-mentioned cells change. So, If you insist on using the template that I amended for you earlier, you need to set the three cells mentioned above first and get rid of the TODAY formula. Just type the date you want the calendar to start with. And then start entering your appointments/tasks. For every new period, you need to empty the calendar and start from scratch.

But, why not use the calendar function that is built-in into your computer or one of many that can be found on-line. Then you can enter appointments, tasks, whatever. Keep track of history and view/report on whatever period (day, week, month, year) you are interested in.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Thank you so much. I liked the ergonomics of this calendar, and the fact that it can start automatically with the present day, so perpetual. I wanted to share this calendar with my team in a shared folder. Thank you for your advice, I will come back to something simpler. Thanks again for the time you have taken. Have a nice day

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Trankil (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Trankil Thanks for the link. Have looked at the template and now dare to say that I consider it totally useless. It's no better, and probably worse, than just writing your appointments in a paper calendar. All that this template allows you to do is set the start of the day (C2), the time interval between calendar entries (E2) and the data for the first day in the week (G2). Now, the real dumb thing with this template is that G2 contains the formula =TODAY(). It suggests that the schedule is dynamic in some way, automatically updating something every day. Unfortunately, it's not. As you noted yourself, the calendar entries are stuck in a cell and will not move with the day of the week or time of the time when the settings in the above-mentioned cells change. So, If you insist on using the template that I amended for you earlier, you need to set the three cells mentioned above first and get rid of the TODAY formula. Just type the date you want the calendar to start with. And then start entering your appointments/tasks. For every new period, you need to empty the calendar and start from scratch.

But, why not use the calendar function that is built-in into your computer or one of many that can be found on-line. Then you can enter appointments, tasks, whatever. Keep track of history and view/report on whatever period (day, week, month, year) you are interested in.

View solution in original post