Data Validation

Copper Contributor

I have several macros that I use to paste drop down list between work books. They have suddenly quit working and now I find that I can no longer manually copy/paste them either. Ha s something changed in Excel? is there a fix?

1 Reply

@PTC_GUy 

There are relatively frequent updates (changes) to Excel. That aside, it sounds as if you may be doing things the hard way anyway. I find myself wondering

• why are you using the same drop-down lists in multiple workbooks?
  • is there some reason why they're not all combined? what is that reason?
  • what's the nature of the changes to the drop-down lists that requires them all to be updated?

My reason for asking: even assuming that there's a totally valid reason for separate workbooks to have the same drop-downs, there are ways to link workbooks such that an update could simply be "pulled" from a single source (without needing a macro). I have a spreadsheet that pulls stock data from a daily download from  a broker, just by referring  to it in a formula. That could easily be the source of a drop-down (it isn't in my case, but it could be; and dynamically new).

Have you access to the new Array Functions (UNIQUE, FILTER, SORT, etc)? You need a subscription to Office 365 to have them. See if you have them in your Excel, and then do some research on them.

Or post some representative samples of your own files, the drop-downs in question, and describe more fully the context in which it appears.