Data Validation multiple

Copper Contributor

I have sheet that has a drop-down to select "Annual" or "Semi-annual". The following row contains a data validation drop-down to select the month for "Annual", and the row below that contains the same.

FrequencySemi-annual
 Month AssessedDecember
 2nd Month AssessedJune

I want to not only conceal the 2nd Month assessed, which I have done with conditional formatting, but I want to prevent entry into the cell with the month IF "Annual" is selected.  The worksheet is protected.  Is there a way to do this without VBA?  Is there a way to use both a Validation list and a custome Validation as well?

3 Replies

@Mariegb Assuming the cell with the drop-down is in C1, try the following DV rule in C3

=C1="Semi-annual"

It should only allow entry of data in C3 if the value in C1 equals "Semi-annual".

@Riny_van_Eekelen  Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem is that the cell contains a drop down DV list.  It will let me do one or the other, but not both.

@Mariegb Then you can perhaps use a solution like in the attached file. The DV rule for the 2nd month refers to a list that starts in E2 (=$E$2#). In turn, E2 contains a formula that creates an empty list if C1 contains "Semi-annual" or a full list of months if C1 contains "Semi.annual".

Alternatively, if the 2nd month is always 6 months after the first in a semi-annual cycle, you could consider to use a calculation that adds 6 months to the first month if the frequency equals "Semi-annual". Just an idea. Have given an example of that as well in the attached workbook.