SOLVED

Data Validation List / Excel 365

Copper Contributor

I've created a Data Validation list for Months (Jan - Dec).  If I select "Jan" and later want to update it to "Feb" it does not clear the last entry (Jan) but rather keeps the previous entry in the list, adds a column and then the new selection.  I.E. "Jan, Feb".  How do I get the list to clear automatically when selecting a new month from this list?

8 Replies

@julie2110 

With your permission, if I may recommend, add a file (without sensitive data) and use this file to describe your project step by step, or add photos with the appropriate description.  

(Drag and drop here or browse files to attach
Maximum size: 71 MB • Maximum attachments allowed: 5)

You'll get a quicker and more accurate answer, and those who want to help don't have to invest time guessing the problem.

Always inform about your Excel version, operating system, storage medium/hard drive, OneDrive, Sharepoint, etc.).

Don't forget that not every Excel user has a clue about every job and that what you see he can't see.

In this link you will find some more information about it:

Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@julie2110.  Below is an example of the issue I'm having with Data Validation.  Hope this helps clarify my concern. :)

julie2110_0-1645797978913.png

This is very interesting behavior indeed. I'm guessing the above example image was something you created and not the actual sheet where it is happening? By chance is it actually happening in a workbook that has a .xlsm or .xlsb ending on it? Because that sounds like you have a macro running in the background doing that.
The example above is a screenshot of the actual sheet. :) I attempted to drag the file into this conversation, but this forum would not accept that file type. The file is an .xlsx.

@julie2110  interesting.  as for attaching files, after clicking 'reply' click on the 'Open full text editor' link below the box and you should get something like this:

mtarler_0-1645805144726.png

and hopefully be able to drag the file to that box.

but if that doesn't work then you could use that "Share" button on the top right corner of Excel to provide a sharable link

best response confirmed by julie2110 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@mtarler - goodness - thank you so much for your patience!   Not sure why I cannot drag and drop the file.   This is the first that I've used this forum. 

I've included a link to the file below.  Hopefully, you will see the same.

Data Validation issue.xlsx

@mtarler - well that's just terrific. I opened the linked file I just sent you and it works perfectly on open drive. Go figure. LOL

@mtarler - JSYK - it was Kutools that was interfering.  I recreated the data validation lists using Kutools  and it worked perfectly.  Thank you for all your help today.  

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by julie2110 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@mtarler - goodness - thank you so much for your patience!   Not sure why I cannot drag and drop the file.   This is the first that I've used this forum. 

I've included a link to the file below.  Hopefully, you will see the same.

Data Validation issue.xlsx

View solution in original post