Data validation for multiple look ups

Copper Contributor

Hi

I'm not sure if what  I am trying to do is possible, but I'm trying to create a data validation list from 2 cells that are also data validation lists. I need to have this as a list that can be copied down depending on the information in the rows.

I have used various formulas to get the first possible answer it could be, but can not convert the formula into an acceptable formula for data validation. 

Does anyone know if it is possible please?

Many thanks

2 Replies

@D42ry 

Not sure what you want. Does Create Dependent Drop-Down Lists help?

It would help if you can provide a workbook. If you can't attach it here you can post it on sharepoint or onedrive or something similar and share a link. make sure it doesn't have any kind of personal/confidential information.
I also wonder if your use of "data validation list" is the same as what I am thinking. To me, a data validation list is used in the Data Validation tool to provide a drop down of valid entries. i.e. if cell D1 has data validation turned on and the data validation is set to allow the list A1:A100 then when you click the down arrow on D1 you will see that list BUT you can only pick 1 value from that list. Hence when you say "from 2 cells that are also data validation lists" I question if you mean 2 cells that are restricted based on data validation lists or 2 actual lists (i.e. an array formula in that cell that spills an array of values). I suspect it is the later and you are trying to use that 'spill' data in the 'traditional' way like the formula is in G1 and spilling into G1:G100 and you are doing a fill down in H1:H xxx to use the unknown # of cells in column G. The answer to this problem is to use ANOTHER array formula in H1 and get the data from column G using G1# (the # symbol meaning the entire spill range).