SOLVED

Data validation Excel

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I need a formula for validation, if a cell is empty it should throw an error, If a specific cell is set to "Yes" and that cell should only accept numbers >=0, otherwise it throws an error too.

Thank you

Bajda

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Bajda1225 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Bajda1225 

You've had a fair number of views and no replies. Usually that's an indication -- which I think is the case here --that your question is not clear enough.

I need a formula for validation, if a cell is empty it should throw an error,

Are you expecting that the empty cell itself will display an error message? [Then it wouldn't be empty, though; you do realize that, right? ]  Or that somewhere else there could be an error pointing back to the empty cell?

If a specific cell is set to "Yes" and that cell should only accept numbers >=0, otherwise it throws an error too.

That line above is really confusing: Are the two "cell" references in that sentence to the same cell? 

In any event, if you want to get some help, I'd suggest you start over with a far more clear explanation, perhaps even using cell references. E.g., "if cell C3 is empty, I want it to be highlighted in red to indicate that an entry is needed. In addition, there needs to be Data Validation to make sure the right kind of entry is made."

If you have a working spreadsheet needing some work to complete it, perhaps you could post a copy on OneDrive or GoogleDrive and post a link here granting access so we could see it for ourselves. But also post a more clear statement or two of what is desired.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bajda1225 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Bajda1225 

You've had a fair number of views and no replies. Usually that's an indication -- which I think is the case here --that your question is not clear enough.

I need a formula for validation, if a cell is empty it should throw an error,

Are you expecting that the empty cell itself will display an error message? [Then it wouldn't be empty, though; you do realize that, right? ]  Or that somewhere else there could be an error pointing back to the empty cell?

If a specific cell is set to "Yes" and that cell should only accept numbers >=0, otherwise it throws an error too.

That line above is really confusing: Are the two "cell" references in that sentence to the same cell? 

In any event, if you want to get some help, I'd suggest you start over with a far more clear explanation, perhaps even using cell references. E.g., "if cell C3 is empty, I want it to be highlighted in red to indicate that an entry is needed. In addition, there needs to be Data Validation to make sure the right kind of entry is made."

If you have a working spreadsheet needing some work to complete it, perhaps you could post a copy on OneDrive or GoogleDrive and post a link here granting access so we could see it for ourselves. But also post a more clear statement or two of what is desired.

View solution in original post