SOLVED

data validation & progress report

Iron Contributor

Hello excel community

I am creating progress report, so i have one challenge which am not able to do, dont know if its possible

1. When i am entering progress for certain activity, i want excel to warn the user that he entered wrong value, for example for room 1 activity fire alarm if the progress on date 15-9-22 was 10 %, so the next time when the user enters for room 1 activity fire alarm on date 17-9-22 ,5 % it should warn him that no this is wrong, progress cannot be less than last date

also if we have already progress for room 1 activity fire alarm on date 15-9-22 10%, and on 17-9-22 progress is 20% 

if a user wants to enter progress on date 16-9-22 he cannot enter more than 20% for example as already on date 17 it was 20%

its a bit complicated, but is it possible without vba? i tried maxif function for progress, but my challenge now is for dates 

i am attaching a sample file

thanks for any advise or hints

4 Replies

@chahine 

See the attached version. I changed the data range into a table and used two defined names to refer to the Date and Progress columns.

@Hans Vogelaar Thanks for reply

My issue is with dates, i want to check progress based on date, for example if my progress on 17/9/22 was 22% , and for some reason i entered a progress of 23% on 10-9-22 then it should give an error as progress on past date cannot be more than progress on future date, dont know if am clear enough, i put one example with yellow highlight in the file

best response confirmed by chahine (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@chahine 

It turns out there was a problem if there is a new empty row below the cell where you enter/edit a percentage

In the attached version I added a helper column to get around it.

Thanks Hans, it worked, ill try to tweak it so it works on all excel versions as MAXifs doesnt work on old excels like 2010
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by chahine (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@chahine 

It turns out there was a problem if there is a new empty row below the cell where you enter/edit a percentage

In the attached version I added a helper column to get around it.

View solution in original post