Data Entry with Colour Coding

Copper Contributor

I have an existing data set which at present is being updated through ardusous manual entry and copy/paste. I want to insert a data entry form which can be used both to add new records and update existing ones. The data is based on projects and their status, key dates etc. When new projects are added or existing ones are updated, I'd like to code cells based on the following.

• New projects  - highlighted yellow
  • Dates pushed back - red text
  • Dates pulled forward - green text
  • Date achieved - highlighted green
  • Project removed - highlighted red
  • All other changes - highlighted in blue

Now I'm not sure if this is possible, or if a macro button style solution might be better. Happy to use VBA too! Any help or advice in achieving this would be much appreciated.

(Note: the data sheet will be locked at the end of the month and copied into a new sheet for the next month - so that each month's updates are seperate. 

I've tried conditional formatting and it seems that it wouldn't be appropriate for say new projects or for projects removed - as changes are compared from one month to the previous month)

Thanks,

E

3 Replies
Have you considered using Conditional Formatting?

I should've mentioned that the data sheet will be locked at the end of the month and copied into a new sheet for the next month - so that each month's updates are seperate.

I've tried conditional formatting and it seems that it wouldn't be appropriate for say new projects or for projects removed.

I'm not sure what you mean by CF not being appropriate. Can you post a sample of your sheet perhaps? Also, I advise not to split your monthly data across multiple sheets, it makes yearly reporting difficult.