SOLVED

Data consolidation

Copper Contributor

I have some data that I would like to consolidate. The data currently looks like this

(This data is copy and paste-linked from separate worksheets to create a large list of parts)

ITEM

LENGTH (mm)

WIDTH (mm)

GRADE

QTY

420  kg

RN1601

N16

_300PLUS

31  kg

RN1601

N16

_300PLUS

2  kg

RN1601

N16

_300PLUS

1  kg

But I want it to combine when it detects the same item number, profile, length, width & grade and add up the quantities and weight so that it looks like this

ITEM

LENGTH (mm)

WIDTH (mm)

GRADE

QTY

423  kg

RN1601

N16

_300PLUS

34  kg

Does anyone know if this is possible and how to do it?

Thank you

10 Replies

@vschiralli 

Consider using a Pivot Table or you may use Power Query to group the data otherwise there are more than one way to achieve that.

@Subodh_Tiwari_sktneer Thank you. I've tried pivot table but it didn't get the result i wanted. It made it quite complicated to look at. The people I'm sharing this data with need to keep it as simple as possible.  This is what the pivot table looks like, which isn't really the outcome I'm after

vschiralli_1-1605072413977.png

I've just tried playing with power query, but it doesn't seem to group the data together.

vschiralli_0-1605072178882.png

I'm not sure if you can see that, but the top 3 rows should be combined into 1 element (the Item numbers are the same) and the qty should be tallied up to 59 total. Rather than 3 rows for the same item

@vschiralli 

What you are trying to achieve, the DATA CONSOLIDATION doesn't suits, because it summarizes the data and applies the selected aggregate function on  all numeric values, other your sources data does have one ALPHANUMERIC column comprises the unit Kg.

Therefore I would like to suggest SUMPRODUCT with trick sums Alphanumeric column also.

Rajesh-S_0-1605074076732.png

• Formula in cell F50:
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$42:$A$46=$A50)*($B$42:$B$46=$B50)*($C$42:$C$46=$C50)*($D$42:$D$46=$D50)*($E$42:$E$46=$E50)*(SUBSTITUTE(F$42:F$46,"Kg","")+0))

•  Fill the formula across the range.
  • Adjust cell references in the formula as needed.

**** Please marks this post as best solution if it solves the issue as well like.

@vschiralli You can achieve this with a Pivot table, but you need to change the default formatting a little bit. See attached.

And with regard to power query, you connected to the table and data types were set. You haven't yet applied any step to transform/group the data.

@Riny_van_Eekelen thank you. I've downloaded your sample and that is pretty much what I want to achieve. I've tried again using the pivot table, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It still spits out data like crazy

vschiralli_0-1605078863000.png

I've attached my material list for the project. Each worksheet is for each individual assembly drawing. Each worksheet uses vlookups and hlookups with dropdowns to select items which come from the worksheet "Materials". I have created this entire spreadsheet myself, which has been quite a headache for the most part over the past couple of years. This is really the last part that I want to change

best response confirmed by vschiralli (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@vschiralli You were just a few clicks away from the desired output. On the Design tab for the pivot table, select "Show in Tabular form" in the Report Layout group. and choose "Don't show Subtotals" in the Subtotals group. See attached.

@Riny_van_Eekelen OMG YES!!! thank you!!!

Pivot Tale doesn't solves the issue,,, the @vschiralli was looking to consolidate common data,,, numeric value must be added,,, please check the data he has shared with original post in the second table the expected QTY is 59 for the code RN1601 is SUM of 54+3+2.

I've examined the attached Workbook and the Sheet "Cast-In Plates" the PT also,, you just add few duplicates for example any code like PL2001, on PT the value in cell P3 will remain 263.2419,, even if you refresh the PT!!

The reason is Cell H1 has formula =SUMIF($H$2:$H$1003083,"<>#N/A") ,,, recalculates every time you add/get value in A2:H500 or beyond ,, as soon you REFRESH the PT you find Excel removes the SUM of 420 column coz 420 is SUM of values are in Col H2 downwards.

@Rajesh_Sinha Not sure I follow. See attached. Added a duplicate for PL2001 via sheet CiP02, though with a different Qty and thus a different weight. The total weight and PT updates as expected.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

No Excel doesn't updated the PT.

What I've done.

• In Sheet CiPo2 to get new value, I've updated cell D23 with new value 400, and got 102 Kg in cell H23.
  • Now in Cast-In Plates sheet excel updated the cell value with 102 kg in cell H12 & H1 with 522 Kg ( is formula bond ), but in PT the corresponding value in cell P3 remain 321.7401.

And when I refreshed the PT , Excel removes the Column SUM of 497, because the new value in PT cell P1 is 522 which formula bond  SUM of 522, which Excel reads from cell H1, and is not the part of the PT, since PT has SUM of 497 as VALUE !!.

Check the attached file, also check the cells I've used in Sheets.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by vschiralli (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@vschiralli You were just a few clicks away from the desired output. On the Design tab for the pivot table, select "Show in Tabular form" in the Report Layout group. and choose "Don't show Subtotals" in the Subtotals group. See attached.

View solution in original post