Data compare and copy

Copper Contributor

Hello
Looking for some help.

In my F column I have 5 different pieces of data (acronyms for email address) abcd, dfgh, ijkl.
In my H column I have 5 different pieces of data (acronyms for email address) 123, 456, 987
any blank cells should get there data from the corresponding cell. whether in F or H.
How do I auto copy the information over to any blank cells from either F or H?
When I try to copy all cells (copy & Paste) it over writes the data in that cell.

FYI... over 12000 rows of data.
I hope I explained this well.
Thank you for any assistance.

Working at home...

1 Reply

@Working_at_home 

I hope, you wrote, I explained this well.

The fact that you've had over 40 views but no replies suggests to me that it wasn't clear enough. I'm going to make an assumption, though, and see if I can answer.

any blank cells should get there data from the corresponding cell. whether in F or H.
How do I auto copy the information over to any blank cells from either F or H?

I'm going to assume that you're wanting to copy that data from F into G, from H into I. But some cells in G and I have content already, so, as you've experienced, doing a wholesale Copy and Paste wipes out data already there.

Therefore, I'd suggest you look at columns J and K and enter this formula into Column J

=IF(ISBLANK(G2),F2,G2)

and this formula into K

=IF(ISBLANK(I2),H2,I2)

Column J will then have what you wanted in G; Column K will have what you wanted in I. You can do whatever you wish with that new data.