Dashes in phone numbers

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to automatically insert dashes when I'm entering phone numbers, ie 50228975278 that would automatically become 502-897-5278 instead of having to type the dashes?

5 Replies

@Bob_Irvine 

You may apply to the cells standard phone number format as

image.png

and to modify it, if necessary, in Custom menu.

To apply select range with cells, Ctrl+1 and as above.

If you open the format cells dialog box and select the special category, Excel has a built-in format option for phone numbers. If you prefer a dash as opposed to parentheses for the area code, select the phone number format and then click on the "custom" category and you can modify that format to remove the parentheses in lieu of a dash.

Hi @Sergei Baklan 

I’m trying convert an entire column of numbers into the phone number format, but I can only convert one number / one cell at a time even though I’ve selected the letter at the top of the column, and the whole column is highlighted.  I’m working on an iPad.  Do you have any suggestions on how to convert the entire column all together? 

Hi Bob Irvine,
I’m trying convert an entire column of numbers into the phone number format, but I can only convert one number / one cell at a time even though I’ve selected the letter at the top of the column, and the whole column is highlighted. I’m working on an iPad. Do you have any suggestions on how to convert the entire column all together?
Hi dear,
If your phone numbers are text or text formatted, you need to make them numbers first, then apply the formatting.