=$D2*3.5 Formula gave wrong answer. Why?

Copper Contributor

In Excel,
"=$D2*3.5" Formula gave wrong answer. Why?

7 Replies
What do you have in D2? What is the result you're looking for? We need some more information. Thanks!
In the field D2 is the number 4. In the field D3 is the formula=$D2*3.5 The answer it gave was 12.5, and obviously should have been 14.
I have a column of numbers I want to multiply by 3.5, but the formula isn't generating true numerical values.
In the field D2 is the number 4. In the field D3 is the formula=$D2*3.5 The answer it gave was 12.5, and obviously should have been 14.I have a column of numbers I want to multiply by 3.5, but the formula isn't generating true numerical values. I just spot checked some of the other numbers, after copying the formula. They answers are close, but not as exact as my calculator. Excel is not making my life easier if it won't compute simple math accurately.
I doubt the number in D2 is actually 4. The number displayed is not necessarily the exact value of the number in the cell, depending on formatting. If you change the cell formatting for D2 to show more decimals, what do you get?

@JMB17  You were correct! I changed the cell formatting in D2 to "general" instead of "Number" and it's working more accurately now.  Thanks so much!

You're welcome.