Custom Table style corrupting for some users on file open

Copper Contributor

Hi all--I'm at my wits end to this and have no clue what other solutions to try. 

Context: Organizational license, everyone has Excel 365. 

Created a new default style for Slicers/tables/pivottables.

Works fine on my own device and other Mac devices. ONLY errors out on international Mac devices. 

I have custom formatted PivotTables, slicers, and tables on my workbook model that follow my companies design theme. On file open, the formats appear fine on both my Windows and Mac devices. 

However, when my colleagues in EMEA & APAC open the file, they get a file corruption dialogue box and notice to repair Excel file. After repairing, all the styles are completely messed up.

Where the table would have a header in blue fill & bold format, is now instead showing every other row with that format and all white font. I never set that style, however if I investigate the faulty spreadsheet, it will show that as the set style. 

It appears that the custom table/slicer/pivottable style is not being recognized on specifically Mac devices, outside of North America.

Solutions tried so far:

1. Using Inquire add in to clean excess formatting. Doesn't seem to do anything

2. Using XLStyles tool to investigate file and process. No dice.

3. Removing custom formats all throughout, however can't seem to fully eradicate issue. 

Any guidance or solutions would be greatly appreciated--

6 Replies

@Kazi_N Can you upload a file with the styles applied to some dummy tables and slicers. I'm on a European Mac myself.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Hello, thank you for offering to help. 

I just uploaded a dummy file, with the macros removed and relative information replaced with "Test" or "Dummy".

My assumption is that on file open, you will get a corruption flag and notice for Excel to attempt to repair the file. 

Attached is also what the layout and style should look like

Much appreciated--

@Kazi_N I do get the "there is a problem with this file" dialogue box and I allow Excel to repair it. The log files indicate that there are problems with "Styles", but the repaired file looks pretty okay. Compared it to opening the file on a PC and that one does not have any problems. The slicer styles come out dark blue buttons on light blue background on the Mac where on the PC it's dark blue on white. Then, on the Quote sheet in the top left hand corner, the conditional format that whites-out some cells below "Employee count" on the PC, doesn't seem to work the same as the formatting colours changed. See screenshot taken on the Mac. Don't know what causes this. Never experience it before.

Screenshot 2021-10-20 at 09.38.00.png

Thank you for testing and providing screenshots.
The screenshot you provided is exactly how Mac users from EMEA/APAC see the file.
On your Mac, you will see the Table style has completely different rules/formatting values than the PC.
Even the conditional formatting rules get flipped, with no rational reasoning why.

Do you have any on the best approach on how to solve this matter? I'm trying to understand the XML file from the repair report log generated. All I can deduce is that there is any issue with either/or/all of the
-Styles
-SlicerCache
-Table styles

@Kazi_N As said, don't know what to about it. Sorry!

@Riny_van_Eekelen After some more investigation, I figured out the root of the issue is the region settings of Mac users. 

United States/Americas  region will open just fine. Once I switch to a different region outside US and open the same file, I get the corruption notice. This makes me guess that there must be an issue with the custom currency formats I have. 

Do you have any tips/guidance on how to make my currency formats compatible internationally?