SOLVED

Custom formatting of text to a number

Copper Contributor

Custom formatting of text like" 5+" 7=12... What format settings should I give to change 5+ to change it to a number so that after changing format settings, when  I add 5 + 7. I should get the result as 12.. It is done in the file. But when I do on my own excel, I don't get the correct answer

Please note... this should be done by changing custom format settings

11 Replies

@Aarush1950 

In file there is no text "5 +". It is number 5 formatted such way. Click Ctrl+1 on cell to check.

image.png

Thanks Sergei
But in excel when I add column with 5+ to 7, I am getting an error.It is not adding. I guess it is taking 5+ as text
Can you tell me what setting change should I do apart from General + in type

@Aarush1950 

Please check the formula bar, that's number 5, nothing else. This "else" appears in the cell when you apply custom number format to it. To do that stay on cell, Ctrl+1, select Custom format and type General+ or whatever else you need. No special settings.

I know...... it comes like that in this excel. But when I do it in my excel, and I do the same settings...(General+), I am getting 5+ in formula bar, not 5... I am not understanding where am I wrong.
I want to understand the solution given in this excel...
best response confirmed by Aarush1950 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Aarush1950 

Let do step by step. Enter 5 in G3, 7 in H3, and =G3+H3 in I3. It looks like

image.png

Select G3:I3 and copy to the next row, into G4:I4. You have the same. Now stay on G4, Ctrl+1, Number->Custom and type General "pounds" into the Type: bar

image.png

Click Ok

Same for H4

In I4 it could be

image.png

Please check in attached file.

Thankyou Sergei
Thankyou so much Sergei.... My issue is resolved... Thanks a bunch
Your explanation was really helpful

@Aarush1950 , you are welcome

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Aarush1950 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Aarush1950 

Let do step by step. Enter 5 in G3, 7 in H3, and =G3+H3 in I3. It looks like

image.png

Select G3:I3 and copy to the next row, into G4:I4. You have the same. Now stay on G4, Ctrl+1, Number->Custom and type General "pounds" into the Type: bar

image.png

Click Ok

Same for H4

In I4 it could be

image.png

Please check in attached file.

View solution in original post