cumulative conditional fomatting

Copper Contributor

I am relatively new to conditional formatting in Excel although I understand the basics.  I have a worksheet containing many columns with each column containing a HEADER and a list of terms below it.  I want to set up the worksheet so another user can click on a term in a list of unique terms and IF that term is listed in any column, the cell is shaded.  Here is a small example:

AffinitoAhlbrandtAllison
EndowedAcademic PerformanceAcademic Performance
FemaleEndowedEndowed
KatzFellowshipFellowship
StudentsFulltimeFulltime
 KatzKatz
 NeedNeed
 PhDPhD
 StudentsStudents

TERM LIST

Students

Katz

PhD

Need

Female

Academic Performance

If someone clicks on the word "PhD" in the list, I want the cells containing PhD in the last 2 columns to be highlighted in yellow.  

If I can get that to work, then my next question is, can I make it so that if I click on a SECOND word in the list, the original formatting remains and the new terms are also highlighted maybe in a different color...in a cumulative fashion.  Or if someone has unclicked a term, the highlighting would be removed in the columns.

Thanks for any help you can give.

1 Reply

Hi@ssj17

The query need some efforts of VBA as described below, However alternate solution what I propose you is to look make dropdown list using data-validation and when user select any value you can change the color 

Snag_15db86a6.png

Attached is workbook for your ready reference.

Regards, Faraz Shaikh | MCT, MIE, MOS Master, Excel Expert

If you find the above solution resolved your query don't forget mark as Official Answer to help the other members find it more.