ctrl + shift + arrow up/down not working

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I've been using excel a lot on my work computer with shortcut as ctrl+shift+arrows.

I'm now working from home and using my personnal laptop but for an unkowned reason.

The must have shortcut ctrl+shift+down, sometimes up as well is not working.

My keys are working perfectly and other things the arrow keys are working like : the shortcut ctrl+up/down to go direct at the end of a row.

I've search on google some solutions like :

- Disable the Transition Navigation Keys (on excel Lotus Compatibility options)

- Make sure the scroll lock is not on

- Disable addon/addin in the excel option

All those solution haven't work.

Could you help me find one as this shortcut is essential for my work.

Thank you,

Edgar

24 Replies

Hello @edgarsicat,

This may sound trivial... but do each of these keys work separately? Perhaps this could be a keyboard issue.

Hi,

Yes all my keyboard keys works including the arrows key.

For instance even the shortcut ctrl + arrow to go directly at the end works.

only the ctrl + shift + up/down doesn't works

@edgarsicat 

With the permission of all involved and your understanding,

I suspect that the "permanent shift key" (the one via Shift) is not permanently switched on.

so we go to the next step:

Tools - Options - Advanced - Lotus Compatibility -

Switch the checkbox Alternative movement keys activated.

There must be no tick, remove if there is a tick.

Maybe changed by mistake?

-------------------------

If it is not and the problem persists maybe connect an external keyboard and see if it works.

Could be a keyboard problem.

--------------------

If none of what has been described so far, call 911 and ask for a pizza for two.

For you and the technician you trust ... just kidding :)) ... think it will work.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Hi @NikolinoDE,

Thank you for your reply.

I think that what you mean by "Switch the checkbox Alternative movement keys activated" on Tools - Options - Advanced - Lotus Compatibility - , is called "Transition Navigation Keys" and I've disable it (not ticked) as I mentioned in my post.

And with that already done the problem still exist.

Thanks,

Edgar

@edgarsicat 

As variant, laptops are usually with a lot of preinstalled utilities never used. One of them could use ctrl+shift+down on system level, if so it won't work within other apps.

@edgarsicat 

the last arrow from my quiver.

There is also my Latain at the end ...

should be able to see it from close up to be able to proceed further,

as I said, use a different keyboard, amn never knows where the error is.

Microsoft Easy Fix solutions have been discontinued

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2970908/how-to-use-microsoft-easy-fix-solutions

Description of Control Panel (.cpl) Files

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/149648/description-of-control-panel-cpl-files

If necessary, you should contact microsoft service if this function is very important for you.

Sorry that I took your time and couldn't give you a quick solution.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Sorry for replying to this older thread, but just in case anyone else runs into this, make sure there isn't any other program running that steals this shortcut. In my case it was YouTube Music for Desktop. I finally realized an issue when I was repeatedly pushing Ctrl+Shft+Down, and the volume of my music was decreasing. I disabled the shortcut in YouTube Music, and the shortcut started working again immediately in Excel.
Thank you. I just created account just to thank you. I dont know if i would ever find it without your reply.

I had this problem for a full week, where control+shift+down arrow wouldn't work anywhere (Excel, Word, etc), but if you change the arrow to left, right or up, it would work as intended.

I read in a forum that the Youtube Music App had stolen that shortcut for a user, and disabling it fixed the problem, so I tried closing one by one the programs that launch on the background on startup, and surprise surprise, the Razer Cortex app had a shortcut using control+shift+down for starting a timer. I disabled that shortcut directly on the app, and that fixed everything in Excel and Word.

My recommendation is that you start closing one by one the programs running in the background, and checking when your shortcut starts working again. 

Hope it helps!  @edgarsicat 

Thank you! My problem was Razer Cortex as well.

Apparently it added some hot key shortcuts after an update and the program was running in the background.

I have changed the shortcut so it doesn't conflict with excel and also disallowed the program from starting with windows as I don't really need that.
thank you, I had the same prob.

Thank you for posting! Just started experiencing this issue. Saw you mention Razer Cortex using the shortcut, went and looked and sure enough, Cortex stole the shortcut for me as well. I noticed I just got an update to Cortex so makes sense that something suddenly changed.

Anyway, thank you for mentioning Razer Cortex!!@ChrisGamboa 

Thank you for sharing your solution!

I've been in a full week having this issue and same culprit for me, it is Razer Cortex.
Also made an account just to say, thanks man. This was indeed the issue.
Razer Cortex > Settings > Hotkeys > Start a new timer.

Thanks again!

@adrianocanello @ChrisGamboa 

Thanks! Razer was indeed the problem!!!

HOLY **bleep**BALLS, thanks boys and girls. Been working with a 15000+ row excel sheet and bloody cortex highjacked my **bleep**. Love your work :') @ChrisGamboa
Thank you so much! I probably would've figured it out eventually, but only after a huge amount of frustration.

Thank you for the help as this fixed my issue as well.  @RyanBlake56 

@macoku Honestly, for me it was my mouse causing the issue. 

I would have never thought of that without your comment so thank you so much! Honestly!