CSV formatting

Copper Contributor

Good evening. 

I have just reinstalled Windows 10 Home in my notebook and installed O365 as well. However, now my CSV files I used to download and use without issues now do not work anymore - it is all without format and impossible for me to work - does anyone know what might be the issue? I open the CSV file using Excel and it is not usable. Below the example of what I see in the CSV file in Excel and my regional formatting already has decimal with comma. What should I do??

Tks,

André

Example CSV format.JPG

Thanks and regards,

André

3 Replies

Hi @deruas 

Hope you are well.

Could you please show a screen shot of the file in notepad? It may help to see how it's laid out to determine the issue.

Cheers

Damien

I've got the same problem.

It seems like excel does not use ";" as a separator, can't find the settings for. it uses "," instead

image.png

@Damien Rosario 

@Jon_The_IT_Man , I guess you found the answer here https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel/SEMI-COLON-COLUMN-SEPARATOR-INSTEAD-OF-COMMA-WHEN-WE-EX..., but that's mainly if you would like to save Excel file as csv with not-default separator,

If the task is to open csv file with another separator, you may as well to manually add (e.g. in Notepad) first line with the separator to use sep=; like

sep=;
a;b;c
x;y;z

It'll be opened correctly even if your system list separator is comma, first line with sep will be not shown by Excel