css writing-mode property needed

Copper Contributor

I have a workbook that contains vertical text. When I save the workbook as a web page, all the vertical text gets changed to horizontal. I know that CSS has the writing-mode property for this purpose. Included in the options for setting it are sideways-lr for bottom-to-top and sideways-rl for top-to-bottom. There are a few others as well. I am using Office Home and Student 2016. Is there a way to add the writing-mode property to Excel's html generation routine?

I found that there is a mso-rotate property. It does not work in FireFox or in Edge. I have not checked with any other browsers. By adding the writing-mode:sideways-lr; property to the classes that needed the vertical text I was able to get that, but now there's a different problem. On the left side of the sheet is a column of vertical text entries. They are supposed to be horizontally and vertically centered, but they are only vertically centered. Changing the text-align: property does nothing, as is already set to text-align:center; anyway. I have tried moving the writing-mode property around to different locations within the class, but that makes no difference either.

Another, somewhat related, issue is that I am seeing a white area above and to the left of the table. I have attached a screenshot so you can see what I mean. I thought it was something peculiar to FireFox until I checked the webpage in Edge and it did the same thing. Since it only happens with web pages generated by Excel, I am guessing it has something to do with the way the frames are being done, but I am not sure as Excel's generated HTML and CSS are very complex and it's difficult to understand everything it is doing.

0 Replies