Creating Timestamp Formula, Returning 1/0/1900

Copper Contributor

Google has been telling me that creating a formula that will create a STATIC timestamp is impossible. I took this as a challenge.

I came up with the following formula that indexes from a separate sheet named "Records" and inputs the date in my A column from the Z column of "Records" that matches the TODAY() function. It is now a nested IF statement as I needed to add a condition that would stop the formula from updating the date every day when it runs the formula again.

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK($A175),$A175,IF(ISBLANK($B175),"",INDEX(Records!$Z:$Z,MATCH(TODAY(),Records!$Z:$Z,0)))

(My test is starting at row 175 but please just ignore that lol!)

This formula is indeed a mess, but to my knowledge I don't see why it shouldn't work. However, whether or not there is a value in B175, the output in that column will always be 1/0/1900. Any idea as to how I could modify this formula to reflect my needs? Thanks in advance!

2 Replies

@IncompetentExcel 

Assuming that you enter this formula in A175, it causes a circular reference. Even if you turn on iterative calculation, it won't do what you want.

Google is correct - you need VBA to insert a static timestamp, not a formula.

@IncompetentExcel Perhaps you can use the technique used in the attached file. It uses NOW() to enter a date/time stamp. Format the outcome as Date or Time as you wish.