Creating this music composition help tool inside excel ? Need some help

Copper Contributor

bensmir_0-1653863391583.png

Hello, I would like to be able to choose a note from a list, then choose a chord type from another list in the next cell (the list of notes and the list of chords name are independent), and based on the chord name, I want excel to display all next notes I should play to form that chord. 

I want to manually create a database, saying for exemple "major chord = starting note +4 and starting note +7" so that when I select my starting note let's say C, and I select "major chord" in the list, I want excel to display the notes that are respectively 4 semitones and 7 semitones away from C, meaning E and G

and the list of notes are : C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B

edit : can I avoid to do this by writing a very long "IF formula" because  I am learning new chords everyday, and I want to add them overtime, and I would like to not loose my mind on one super long IF formula, I don't know if I can create a database of chords instead that can evolve with time

I am a complete beginner

THANKS !

1 Reply
Do you happen to have a sample workbook you can upload? This is do-able but I think there's some confusion as to which chords need to be shown for a given note. A few examples are needed then a formula can be drawn up.