Creating the most symmetrical layout based on a range of spans and quantities

Copper Contributor

I have a complex problem that can be solved by nested loops, which means programming skills which I am not equipped with at this point, but I thought you might have a suggestion on how to use Excel to solve that.

Here is the problem:

There is a range of standards element spans and corresponding quantities. I need to find the most symmetrical layout for them.

Fx. if we have the following data in excel

6x6m+3x4.2m+1x3m

then it would generate the most symmetrical combination(s) of layout for them.

3x6m-2x4.2m-1x3m-1x4.2m-3x6m

I do appreciate your help and time in advance.

Best Regards,

Farshid

2 Replies

@FarshidKaviani , Can you provide some more details please? For example, will the elements always be combined in groups of 5? Are there any rules around the spans and where they lie in the combination? Any additional information will be helpful. 

Also, it would be useful if you could share a sample workbook with any confidential information removed.

@TheAntony Thank you so much for getting back to me. Unfortunately, there are not many rules and information that can be provided as they change in every single project, the only general rule that can be applied is all of the sub-spans and the total span should be divisible bt 300 mm.

From an architectural point of view, I can say that the smaller spans are the ones that should be placed closer to the middle. Besides, we always try to keep the variety of span types as a minimum, if it helps.

I do appreciate your help and time once again.

Regard,

Farshid