SOLVED

Creating Read-Only Files on Version 1905

Copper Contributor

On previous versions of Excel, I used the file read-only option quite extensively. This allows anyone to click on an Excel file to open it, whereby a password prompt appears. Entering the password allows the user full read/write access. If you don't have the password, you can click on 'Read Only'. The file will then open but it will not allow the file to be saved under the same name, only as 'Save as'.

Our office was recently upgraded to Office 365pro version 1905. The whole protection scheme appears to have been changed. I have spent the last couple of hours trying to get one of the many new permutations (some with cryptic descriptions) that corresponds to the option described above. However, this no longer seems to be available. I can set a file so that it can only be opened with a password (but then those without the password can't open it), I can set a workbook so that certain sheets can be protected (but can;t stop them creating new sheets), I can set a sheet so that certain cells can be protected (ditto), and I can set a workbook so that certain named email addresses have access (which restricts it from general access). But I can't seem to simply write-protect a whole file any more while still allowing anyone to open it.

Is there some way of doing this on version 1905 that I'm not aware of?

Additionally, is there a way for me to change the existing password on older Excel files versions that have the old read-only file protection enabled without losing this function?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

3 Replies

@craig1965 If you click File, Save a Copy you can click the More options link:

2019-06-27_13-52-21.jpg

After that, the normal save dialog opens and you can click the Tools drop-down:

2019-06-27_13-54-06.jpg

best response confirmed by craig1965 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
NB: In File, Options, Save tab you can control whether or not Excel displays the new save backstage screen or the old-style save-as dialog when you're either using short-cut keys (F12) or when you use the save-as button which you can add to your QAT. File, Options general also enables you to disable the startup screen taking you directly to an empty file (bottom checkbox)
Great. Thanks a lot. Exactly what I'm looking for!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by craig1965 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
NB: In File, Options, Save tab you can control whether or not Excel displays the new save backstage screen or the old-style save-as dialog when you're either using short-cut keys (F12) or when you use the save-as button which you can add to your QAT. File, Options general also enables you to disable the startup screen taking you directly to an empty file (bottom checkbox)

View solution in original post