Creating Multiple Timelines on in one Chart.

Copper Contributor

I am creating multiple timelines in one Chart. 

1)  I have the 3 series as three separate lines with the dates as a separate line at the bottom.  I deleted all the lines dropping down to the main line/axis.

2) However, at some point, the dates at the bottom stopped reflecting the range I specified.

3) Also,  I would like the label to be the actual task text. I can only get the series name and task date to show.

If you can assist in remedying these issues, it would be much appreciated.

7 Replies

Hi Judy,

For first two it'll be better if you attach small sample file which illustrates what doesn't work.

For the third one the workaround could be https://chandoo.org/wp/change-data-labels-in-charts/

I appreciate any help you can give.  I have attached a table of data and on same sheet 2 attempts at what I need.  This is in 2010 and some issues might be resolved in 2013.  I can upgrade if needed.

1) Multiple line plots above a timeline.  Not sure series and primary and secondary axis are set up correctly for my needs.

2) Issues arise with timeline dates at bottom.

3)I would like the data labels to be the descriptions.

Had trouble downloading Chart Labeler Add on.  Though I have seen a tutorial that does what I need for the labels.  However my set up is not quite the same.

4)I also would like to import custom markers. My full database has many custom markers.  In this example I just chose some symbols.  The symbols in the marker column.  I don't want the automatic markers and I don't want to put in custom markers one by one.  which I know 2010 let's me do.

If 2010 or 2013 won't allow me to pull in custom markers automatically.  I have been thinking maybe I could use a data label filled with the custom marker. 

Hi Judy,

Sorry, I missed your previous post, answer with some delay.

1) How to setup series depends on which result you'd like to have, from my point of view it looks okay now.

2) Scatter chart doesn't work wit dates scale directly, that will be numbers scale. The workaround could be if you add one more series with dates for horizontal axis and thread=0 in your terms. Format it on chart as line (it'll be on horizontal access), format X axis with dates as comfortable and finally make the line invisible. That's in attached file.

3) Yes, starting from version 2013 you may add data labels from another column directly in Excel, I added in the attached. I know about Chart Labeler but never worked with it on practice, can't help here.

4) With markers known workaround is to add additional series for which, depends on condition, value will be from the main series if you meet the condition and NA() otherwise (such will be skipped on chart), customize markers for each such series. Idea is illustrated here https://peltiertech.com/conditional-xy-charts-without-vba/, firs I found.

Sergei -

Your 2) and 3) examples were so simple. Why couldn't I do that on my own.

4) Changing data markers- looking at link and still studying it.  Not clear how it is done.  I really need more one on one help.  How can I find someone to work with me?  how do I find a consultant?  A paid consultant is fine.

5) Now do you have an idea of how to make labels viewable when you click on the data point or hover over the data point?

Thank you - judy

Judy,

Consultant - I'll ask Excel experts outside this forum if someone interesting, but it definitely will be paid consultant. Will do right now. Sorry, not for me - these activities for me more hobby than main job.

Make labels viewable - I guess that's only with VBA code, but that's out of my expertise.

Perhaps you can help me with this one.

Can I automatically create comments via a formula? The comment would be in a column of data but I would want the comment to appear elsewhere.  Like in the attached file but would like it automatic for each "datapoint".

Thank you.

Regarding the above request for comments.  I found this but have not tried.  I have not used VBA yet as well. https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/764-excel-convert-cell-contents-to-comment.html#a1