Creating Duplicate pages in an excel workbook

Copper Contributor

I have created a 7 page Excel Workbook for tracking daily/weekly/monthly hours for 45 employees on 45 different jobs. One sheet is the bank for the drop-down menus, one sheet is the monthly, and then I have 5 weekly sheets that will need to have approximately 45 Week 1 sheets etc. I have programmed numerous formulas to auto-populate repetitive information. The issue that I am having is that regardless of the paste version I use, I cannot create additional copies of each "job" book without having to reprogram a significant amount of it. I tried to use Macros but it would only run on the original page, not on any subsequent pages. This project is going to take forever to create if I can't figure this out. Hoping someone can help! Thank you!

12 Replies

@seg419 

Hello! You've posted your question in the Community Discussion space, which is intended for discussion around the Tech Community website itself, not product questions. I'm moving your question to the Excel space - please post Excel questions here in the future. 

@seg419 

Is it possible for you to post a copy of the workbook? Just make sure it contains no private/personal or confidential information.

And are you open to wholly different ways to approach your situation? The reason I ask: it's generally a mistake to break a workbook into multiple essentially duplicate sheets--for example, one for each week--when tracking such things as hours worked. Excel has very powerful tools for taking a single database, {into which ALL of that data for each week for each person for each job (whatever) gets entered], and then breaking that data apart into summary reports or summary analyses.

I see that happen a lot.....having had a career that included a stint as the director of the HR/Payroll data base for a major corporation, I can assure you that a single database (in Excel terms, a single Excel Table) can serve you far more effectively than 52 different ones, one for each week of the year. It's relatively easy to include a date column in that single Table that can be used as the basis for weekly reports, weekly calculations, etc.

@mathetes 

I have attached a fully functional demo with private information edited out. Sadly, I am bound by the laws of powers higher than myself as to the format of these documents. Until I came along, these were done ENTIRELY by hand. I was granted permission to create a digital version that followed the guidelines of the original document. I currently have a functioning version aside from this document but I still find it to be inefficient as we do not always have hours on every jobsite every week ( yet I am still required to state those hours - or lack thereof) until the job is closed.

The formatting works thus: On the cover page: the jobsite, month, W/E and employee name are selected. This information auto-populates to the subsequent 5 potential weeks of each month. Then, on each weekly report, the hours logged on those pages auto-populate to the cover page and are thus tallied and compiled into the weekly/monthly total hours. I then must PRINT off each sheet for each jobsite and get signatures from each employee to verify their hours and then mail these documents into 'corporate'. I am not allowed to submit these electronically and each job and each week must be accounted for regardless of hours worked. 

With that information in mind, I am totally open to any formatting changes you might have. Thank you!  (Also to recap: The issue I am having is creating duplicate sheets within each week without losing substantial formatting) Each week could see upwards of 45 different jobsites and each one must be accounted separately) 

@seg419 

Oh, my! The issue is that it's not mere "formatting" change that I have in mind. By "formatting" I am referring to the nicely laid out form that you ask employees to sign, verifying hours worked. That format is perfectly fine. But it's an output document.

It's an output document that is being used to dictate how you get input. THAT'S the thing I'd change. Excel is really really REALLY good at taking raw data and formatting it for a whole range of outputs. You're being asked to work with an output document as the receptor of the raw data, and are looking for ways to tweak that. But it isn't a good approach to begin with. You've heard the expression "putting lipstick on a pig"?

And, sadly, the history you recount is a big part of why you are where you are. "We've always done it this way [on paper]; it has worked just fine. We hereby give you permission to take this fancy newfangled automated ledger sheet and convert the old paper forms into it, but, please, keep the old process going just as it was. We'll let you use Excel to do the adding and multiplying, but by no means should you monkey with the process that has worked so well with paper and pencil."

You know something? Excel can do more than fool-proof adding, multiplying, dividing and subtracting. But to use it to its fullest extent, and really achieve less error-prone results, you will need to be open to reconsidering how you collect and store the "raw data"......it's not a problem producing the same output, but do you really really REALLY just want to use Excel because the result will be printed by a computer rather than contain hand-written numbers?

I'm going to spend some time to create a little bit of a demonstration of what could be, but not a lot, since it's not clear that your management is open to actually improving the process if it means changing the process.

If it's the construction business that you're in, you might explore how they'd feel if, upon getting a new power gizmo to do a job, the customer allowed them to use it, but without actually plugging it in. If it were a drill, "you can use it because the bits are sharper than our old one, but you need to turn the whole thing by hand 'because that's the way we've always done it.'"

@mathetes Hahaha! You nailed it! I work in the Construction Industry and they are not very willing to change with the times. I am fortunate that my direct boss embraces technology and my ability to make our company more efficient but above him, we have to follow their rules. That being said, I am very excited to see what you come up with and I will definitely make a pitch to the union to try this fancy new technology! I truly appreciate your time and efforts! 

@seg419 

OK, so as I got started I realized I had a few more questions. Specifically about how the data are collected in the first place.

Does each person record hours individually and daily? (In other words, where and how is the "raw data" for how many hours John Jones has worked, and on which project....where, when, and how is that captured?

A couple of months ago I helped a firefighter in New York create an attendance and training tracking spreadsheet. He had been charged with keeping track of folks who came to work on a Covid-19 related endeavor, and had taken a paper process and converted it to Excel, but was just putting "X" into boxes and looking for a way to count them. We ended up changing the process altogether, so that he noted the date, the name, the shift (Day or Night; but not hours per se) and the location [comparable to your project].   This was all entered by him or an associate each day into a single Excel table. We then created weekly summary reports.

It's something like that that I have in mind for you. Creating a single Excel table into which you enter daily hours per person per project. It's very easy from that to produce the nicely printed output.....

But if you (or an associate) just enter the hourly data once a week, taking it from some other source, that would be helpful to know.

@mathetes Each employee has a time-logging app on their phone. The app is equipped with each of our jobsites. The employee logs into the jobsite they are currently working on. Some days they might be at 4 different jobsites, some days they might spend their entire day at one jobsite. The accounting department prints the logs of all of this information on a weekly basis, gives it to me, and I input that information into this document for the Fund Department. 

@seg419 

OK -- think of this just as an example, please.... I think, based on what you've said in that most recent note (about the employees logging into an app, registering hours per jobsite) that that data might be downloadable into a simple variation on the sheet I've created for input.

What I'm giving you is by no means complete. I can tell from what you'd created, however, that you're quite competent with Excel, various functions and linking them across different sheets in the workbook. What this is meant to demonstrate is how you can "table drive" a workbook such that it can basically consist of

Some "business tables" that contain basic data to be incorporated at various places in the process. In your case, there are in my demo the following tables:

• Employees--consisting of an ID#, Last Name, and First Name. This could be extended easily to include such things as DOB, DOH, Title, hourly pay rate or salary
  • Project list--right now just the name, but easily extendible to include names of contacts, address, etc., for use on the output form
  • an automatically generated list of Employee IDs, used for data validation on the input sheet
  • I didn't do it, but if you go with this, we'd do the same with the Project list: create an automatically generated list of Projects for data validation

An input sheet, designed to capture your hours data right now at the most "granular" level--i.e., each entry will refer to hours worked by one employee at one location on one day.

• All that needs to be entered are
    • date
    • EE ID      (drop-down list)
    • Project   (drop-down list)
    • Hours

The other columns are generated automatically and are more for reference. They could be hidden columns, especially the one that calculates EOWeek. Its sole purpose is to enable easy selection of relevant data on the Output sheet

(I want to note here that it would be easy to create a different input layout, if what that App generates, or what you get on a weekly basis, is an entire row for each employee's hours at each job site. My example is at the level of finest detail (the highest granularity) because that also provides the greatest flexibility for later summaries by job-site, by employee, etc.)

The output sheet. And here in particular I want to emphasize that it's just a demo of what's possible. A word of warning...this makes use of the most recent dynamic array functions to extract from the input sheet the list of ID's and the hours for each location.  So long as you're working with the most current Excel, you'll be fine. If they don't work, there are other solutions, but these are really powerful, so I'd highly recommend getting the most current if you don't already have it.

The output sheet right now will let you pick the project or jobsite there at the top left--I created a drop down list entry there: when you place your cursor in the box, you'll see the drop-down arrow appear immediately to the right. And once you've selected a different location, it will populate the sheet with the work that was done at that job site, that week, by employee, in employee ID order.

I've only entered a few rows of data in the input sheet, but invite you to enter more. I also invite you to add to the employee list -- new IDs and new names. What you'll see is that those can grow dynamically. It's easy, in other words, to bring new workers into the mix, even new locations.

What I've left for you to do is that master sheet. But I think you'll see that based on a single input worksheet, it's possible to use Excel to extract very specific data, as well as summary data should that be desired, from a single comprehensive input database.

@mathetes WOW!! This is wonderful - thank you!!

I have attached the timecard list as it prints out from the app. This is what I have to work with. 

The largest issue I face is having to go through each and every sheet as the month goes on to look for the missing weeks when hours were not worked and thus not on the list for said week. This app is great as it is GPS enabled and gives us the security of knowing that the employees are actually on location but the data is very basic and creates an inconsistent means for tracking each job throughout the month. The layout I created helped to overcome that (to some degree) by enabling me to maintain a week-by-week record of each job and would thus see if I was skipping a sheet and know that I would need to enter it as "no hours worked" without having to go page-by-physically-printed-page to check for dates. The only part missing would be the quantitative monthly total sheet (which they are sticklers about for some reason). 

I really like where you are going with this! You have definitely pushed me to take my skills to the next level. I plan to work with your demo so that I can figure out how to incorporate those formulas into future projects!!

@seg419 

Is it possible for you to get that time sheet data "unprocessed"? To get it as a "CSV" file, easily imported into Excel, but not already summarized by individual? It surely exists in raw data form at some place in the cloud....    If not, I'd wonder about creating a (pardon the expression) Google Sheets app, since it's available free for mobile devices--for the various employees to use in entering their data. You could import that data into Excel (or export it to Excel, whichever way is simpler). You would be missing that GPS confirmation you spoke of...but if trust is an issue, then you have bigger problems anyway.

Anyway, my hope is that the demonstration I created served (as it appears to have) to inspire you to go to more of a database and table-driven approach at the data-collection end of things, letting Excel and its many incredible data-extraction functions do the heavy lifting of creating summary reports, whether weekly or monthly, location/job-specific, employee-specific....whatever.

I was introduced to the Dynamic Array functions only within the last two months (they only were introduced to the world within the last year). This YouTube video was extremely effective in helping me see the potential. I think you'll appreciate it as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9DtFOVPIg

Learn everything about our brand-new Dynamic Arrays and how you can use them to build advanced spreadsheets. Arrays (CSE) have long been present in Excel, but were limited to power users. With Dynamic Arrays we have rebuilt the calc engine, effectively turning all formulas into array formulas ...

@mathetes  Hello!

I spoke with accounting today about your question regarding the 'unprocessed' information and that is not an option. The program can't even print the information out in alphabetical format let alone unprocessed. Google Sheets is not an option either because sadly, GPS is necessary. We also have GPS on our trucks. Most of our 45 guys are wonderful workers who have been with us for years and very trustworthy. But as they say, one bad steer spoils the lot. Well, not one, but several have forced us to keep tabs on where the newbies are with our phones and our trucks. I am going to watch this video! Thank you so much!

@seg419 

Sigh (raw data not available)

and sigh again (need to monitor the people)

It's a broken world.