Creating an if statement

Copper Contributor

I have data that is column a that shouldn't be there and needs to move to column J. I want to know what is the best remedy for doing so. It is important to note that data from D, need to move down to the next line.

2 Replies

@Bear_Medicine1961 

First, let me say that you probably should not be posting that file as is, since it contains what appear to be names and some personal information on real people. I've notified the moderators of the board to take it down, but if you're monitoring yourself, you can go back and edit your original and remove it yourself. Once you've done that, feel free to post a representative sample but use names like those of Disney characters, or maybe some from the Star Wars universe.

To your question, which isn't totally clear.

If every item in column A should be in column J on the same row, then go to column J, cell J2 (since J1 has a heading, J2 is the first cell for data) and enter =A2 and then copy that down to the bottom. But if it's not every item in column A, then come back with a more clear definition of which items. The fact that you title your question "Creating an IF statement" leads to the inference that you are wanting to set a condition........so why don't you spell that out a bit more, after first rendering the file anonymous.

Same kind of condition for items in column D: are you talking about every item in column D? If so, just set up a "helper column" (insert a new column E adjacent to D), and in cell E3 enter the formula =D2 and copy that down to the bottom.

But it probably would be best for you to come back and clarify, using a sheet with anonymous data.

Thanks for the question! We removed the attachment as we don't allow the sharing of personal and private data here on the Tech Community, as noted in our Code of Conduct.

If you want to attach a file that replaces those names with obviously fake names or other placeholders, that would be fine.