Creating an Exact Calendar Lookup Table

Copper Contributor

I'm creating a pivot table that summarizes energy usage recorded at a site vs. what the billing company says was actually used at the site.

I've ran into trouble having both sets of data display, because the billing data is in a monthly format. Where the recorded data is reported every 15 minutes. I've created a look-up calendar table to use for both sets of data using the TIME(0,15,0) function to create a long list of dates for the year, and this works beautifully for relating the two data sets.

However, billed data breaks down on the pivot table after a few months, showing up as "blank". I've determined the cause to be that my lookup table contains floating point rounding error due to being created by a function, where the monthly dates are exact integers entered by hand. 

I can get around this by copying and pasting the value of the date from the first of the month in the look-up calendar into the date for the billed data, but this is time consuming. There has to be a better way of creating a calendar lookup table for this purpose.

Any advice? I've included the worksheet if you need to look at it to tell what I've done.

1 Reply

@lmelton 

I'd round minutes in calendar using

=MROUND(A2+TIME(0,15,0),"00:15")

Second, in the bill table some date show next date, not sure why

image.png

If simply re-enter it'll be as in formula bar. With changing the date on Apr 01 PivotTable is

image.png